Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What do these chevron/badge mean

rachel.ridgeon

Can someone please help me to understand what these two sets of chevrons mean and the badge above the top chevron signifies?

many thanks

MB

post-28861-1269792751.jpg

The top set of chevrons (upside down chevrons from a heraldic perspective) are Sergeant's stripes. Royal Engineers Sergeants also had a grenade above the stripes. His cap badge and shoulder title confirm Royal Engineers, so this is correct.

The lower chevrons are overseas stripes. A soldier became entitled to the first stripe upon landing overseas (this would be a red stripe if before 31-12-1914). For each 365 days of overseas service he would receive a further stripe (a months leave per year was allowed to count as overseas service). This man has three blue stripes so had served at least two years overseas.

Though entitlement to the overseas chevrons ran throughout the war, they were only issued from the beginning of 1918, dating this photograpgh to 1918 or later.

Steve.

Upper arm, sergeant, Royal Engineers. Lower arm, overseas service, WW1 era - others will count the number for you, but I think 3 years excluding 1914.

Here's a close up of overseas service chevrons I recently posted on the Forum

post-888-1269799562.jpg

Thanks very much that helps

I don't know much about Robert James Humphreys RE

I think this is his MIC - but how can I be sure? [there was nothing on the reverse side]

MB

post-28861-1269801104.jpg

The medal card is consistent with the picture - a Royal Engineers Sergeant, for a start.

His number is consistent with a mid-1916 date of joining the Royal Engineers with the likelihood that he went overseas towards the end of 1916. If that was the case he would have got his 1st overseas stripe in late 1916, 2nd in late 1917, and 3rd in late 1918, which would fit the overseas stripes entitlement.

Can you tell us where he was from and what his occupation was before/after the war? Depending on whether his local Absent Voters List survived he might be named on that.

Steve.

Steve

My feeling is that the MIC is my Gt Uncle Robert James Humphreys born 13 April 1895 in Dublin - not sure if they absent voters lists in Dublin around that period. The family had a contractor business and he was a Plumber. I have another picture of Robert (seated centre) with two fellow engineers.

Thanks

MB

post-28861-1269849604.jpg