Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish lowland regiment uniform

high wood

This named photograph appears to show a soldier in a Scottish lowland regiment but I cannot identify the uniform. The tartan in the trews should narrow down which regiment he served in. He appears to have the ribbons for the QSA and the KSA and I am hoping that he will have served during the Great War.

post-6480-1269787855.jpg

As there have been no takers on this one can we approach it from a different direction? Can anyone decipher the signature?

post-6480-1269892077.jpg

He looks to be wearing the Bandolier Equipment belt, so the photos is at least after 1903.

He looks to be wearing the Bandolier Equipment belt, so the photos is at least after 1903.

I think the belt is part of the jacket rather than being a leather 03 belt Matt.

He appears to be wearing a dark blue belted jacket and trews, I think referred to as a Blue Patrol jacket and not limited to lowland units (please see attached where at least two men are sporting a similar order of dress)

post-14525-1269906670.jpg

We know from the KSA ribbon that the photograph was taken after 1902/3. We have a patrol jacket of a type worn by a number of Scottish regiments both Lowland and Highland. (I had assumed in my ignorance that trews meant lowland and kilts meant highland) So apart from the signature the most obvious clue is the pattern of the tartan.

I am curious about this one. Identifying the tartan is notoriously difficult and even then will not necessarily uniquely identify the regiment. The shoes are a puzzle. They are not gym shoes are they? The signature appears to say Old Chum ( sir?) then the name which I can't even guess at.

Comparing the signature on the front and that on the back:

I think the latter ends "old chain Sir." and the signature is "J Y**eys" but I can't think what.

Looks like a Blue patrol jacket to me, and those trews look to me (as an ex RHF chap) as Royal Scots Fusiliers, just my pennyworth!

Rob

Bit confusing this, the salutation on the photo is "yours sincerely" followed by the signature. Where does the second one come from and could it be Celtic?(Just thought I'd chuck that one in ;) ) Was he excused boots or had he been Highland dancing?

Cheers,

Martin

hi pals

This is a Picture of two Leicestershire Regiment Territorials in camp pre Great War please note

Foot Wear,

Hope This Helps

post-51803-1269966465.jpg