Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did convalescing soldiers wear an armband

derekb

Hello Everyone,

I am currently researching two brothers one of whom was Private James(?) Dickinson , Liverpool Regiment (Pals), who was wounded (slight) in the face.

In the attached photograph he is wearing an armband on his right arm, my question is did convalescing soldiers wear an armband like this or is it something else?

Regards,

Derek.

post-18694-1269786863.jpg

In all of the photos that i have of my grandfather in the Chelsea and the Nottingham eye infirmary neither he nor any of his comrades are wearing an armband - so I suspect it may have signified a wounded soldier but it certainly was not a mandatory regulation.

J

I seem to remember that a red armband was worn when out of hospital and wearing a greatcoat, to identify the man as a wounded/sick inmate of a hospital. This certainly applied to officers who did not wear hospital blues to mark them out.

Sue

I believe the armband was blue rather than red. It would certainly seem so in this picture.

Chris

Maybe it was red for officers and blue for ORs - red definitely rings a bell. Which picture can you see a blue armband in? I'm missing something I think :unsure:

Sue

........just to throw a curve ball! In post 1 it is stated that the man in the photo is a private not an officer.

There was a thread current a couple of weeks ago about 2 brothers with photos taken at various dates through the War, when home on leave. In one, the brothers were posing together quite carefree looking. In another one brother was standing in the front? garden of their home and wore a dark armband. At the time I assumed it was a black mourning band, perhaps for the brother.... now, I wonder if it might have been a hospital armband?? I don't think mention of it was made.... Any Pal able to recall better?

There was a thread current a couple of weeks ago about 2 brothers with photos taken at various dates through the War, when home on leave. In one, the brothers were posing together quite carefree looking. In another one brother was standing in the front? garden of their home and wore a dark armband. At the time I assumed it was a black mourning band, perhaps for the brother.... now, I wonder if it might have been a hospital armband?? I don't think mention of it was made.... Any Pal able to recall better?

Jonathan, Sue and Chris, thanks for your replies.

Derek

I've seen photos of hospital groups with some men wearing arm bands, some in conjunction with hospital blues. Believe the arm banded men ware acting as a sort of combination of trusty and temporary NCO

disabled men white with red crown,

discharged soldiers in hospital red white blue,

convalescent patients green,

hospital [staff?] HP on ? colours unknown.

These above not all necessarily contemporary to each other.

disabled men white with red crown,

discharged soldiers in hospital red white blue,

convalescent patients green,

hospital [staff?] HP on ? colours unknown.

These above not all necessarily contemporary to each other.

Thank you Everyone for all your information.

Regards,

Derekb