Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THIS?

wesleycrabb

Hello All,

Not a Campaign medal, but the same size as a Victory Medal, made from lightweight white metal, came with my Great-Grandfather's WW1 bits.

Can anyone identify it

Best Regards

Wes.

post-54041-1269786244.jpg

post-54041-1269786261.jpg

Think it was issued by local councils etc to celebrate end of the War, have displayed same sort of thing in past, often came with red, white and blue ribbon.

Tony

Just wondered did the medal belong to your Great-Grandfather and where abouts was he from?,different areas around the country had peace medals issued after the war.You may be able to narrow your search down by knowing the area it came from.

Brendan

As mentioned it does look like the peace medals presented to school kids in 1919. Usually lightweight white metal with red/white/blue ribbon. I have a Coventry one.

S

Hello All,

Thanks for the replies/interest.

You are backing up my suspicions, I just thought it might have been a 'National' item, as most of the 'Commemorative' items I have seen from both of The World Wars have been named to a town or local area, whilst this has nothing of that sort.

It is also extremely well defined for a mass produced, impersonal item.

Best Regards.

Wes

Hello All,

Thanks for the replies/interest.

You are backing up my suspicions, I just thought it might have been a 'National' item, as most of the 'Commemorative' items I have seen from both of The World Wars have been named to a town or local area, whilst this has nothing of that sort.

It is also extremely well defined for a mass produced, impersonal item.

Best Regards.

Wes

For those councils that didn't want to go to the expense of having a personalised medal made the manufacturers had a stock item such as this that could be supplied at less expense.

For those councils that didn't want to go to the expense of having a personalised medal made the manufacturers had a stock item such as this that could be supplied at less expense.

Not much change there then!