Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Worcester Regiment in the Great War

archangel9

Hi,

The Naval and Military press book version is priced anywhere between £45 and £65. This CD version seems like a bargain.

http://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/SHPL...tml&sc=1024

"The Worcester Regiment in the Great War

The definitive history of the Worcester Regiment in the Great War. It was commissioned by Worcester County Council as part of the County War Memorial. Illustrated with over 100 maps of engagements, and over 50 pages of photographs, this is a superbly detailed account of all the actions in which the various Battalions of the Regiment engaged. Kindly loaned to the project by the Brierley Hill Library.

Price : £15.00 inc. UK p&p(add £1 for overseas)"

Any comments before I buy?

Cheers.

John

Hi,

The Naval and Military press book version is priced anywhere between £45 and £65. This CD version seems like a bargain.

http://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/SHPL...tml&sc=1024

"The Worcester Regiment in the Great War

The definitive history of the Worcester Regiment in the Great War. It was commissioned by Worcester County Council as part of the County War Memorial. Illustrated with over 100 maps of engagements, and over 50 pages of photographs, this is a superbly detailed account of all the actions in which the various Battalions of the Regiment engaged. Kindly loaned to the project by the Brierley Hill Library.

Price : £15.00 inc. UK p&p(add £1 for overseas)"

Any comments before I buy?

Cheers.

John

Just to get me a copy too.

MC

The Worcesters site have a link to it, and I have only seen good comments on the CD on the forum. Must get me this too, but somehow I tend to prefer to browse paper versions.

ATB,

/Lars

The original is a fine volume and one of my prize possessions, though I cannot speak for the disc version, though I have no reason to believe there is anything poor about the disc. I would be interested to know how well the maps are reproduced. The foldout maps (some 130 or so from memory) are absolutely wonderful.

If there is one weakness of the original volume, literally, it is that it is a weighty tome and probably too weighty for the binding which is often in a relatively strained state in almost all copies - unless thay have been rebound.

The organisation produce a number of other WW1 related products including a compendium of som 6 or so volumes relating to Birmingham.

Those researching Birmingham may also want to note that they have just released the 1918 Absent Voters List on CD, a tremedous resource for anyone researching B'ham servicemen.

The Worcesters site have a link to it, and I have only seen good comments on the CD on the forum. Must get me this too, but somehow I tend to prefer to browse paper versions.

ATB,

/Lars

Found the CD from the link on the Worcesters site. Would prefer the paper version myself but can't afford a new copy. Unless I can pick up a reaonable priced second hand version I'll go for the CD.

Cheers.

John

Would prefer the paper version myself but can't afford a new copy. Unless I can pick up a reaonable priced second hand version I'll go for the CD.

John,

Original second-hand copies currently seem to be on offer for £180 to £500, £180 being a reasonable price for the volume. There is a sturdily rebound volume at £160 and a tight copy which has lost it's decorative spine and is suitable for re-backing at around £120. A number of folks seem to manage to try and sell the reprint for rather more than it's published price - though I think there is one second hand copy selling at around £40.

All in all, however, the volume is a delight in any format.

Martin

Martin,

I think I'll go for the CD then :D Hopefully the maps are well reproduced. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

John

MartinWills I wonder if you could let me have the information of a few pages from the book.

I am interested in the action at Bellewarde June 1915?

I would be most grateful

Martin

The contents of the book are very good but especially the maps - are these all on the CD or downloadable?

regards

John

I picked up the CD version a couple of years ago, when I started researching my Grandfather (2nd Worcesters). I have found it to be an excellent source, and it provides a timeline, against which is the description of where each battalion was, and what they were doing. Personally, I would recommend it

I have several CDs from Midlands Historical Data - they are quality scans. The guy who runs it is a top guy and does not seek to make a profit.

Mike/Alan,

The CD it is then. Thanks for all your replies.

John