Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beneath Hill 60

Bardess

Thank you for that.

Featured on Sixty Minutes this evening. Hope it plays in your part of the world

Yes i recorded it cant wait till Anzac day for the release of the movie .

MC

Is it planned for world-wide release?

When can I go and demand a copy at my local Blockbuster shop?

Bruce

Is it planned for world-wide release?

When can I go and demand a copy at my local Blockbuster shop?

Bruce

Yes from ANZAC day 25th April its being released in Australia probably 6 months away as a guess maybe less

MC

Featured on Sixty Minutes this evening. Hope it plays in your part of the world

Excellent link for what could be a very interesting film. The Australian Tunnellers at Hill 60 took over from the Canadians who had previously taken over from British Tunnellers. Apparently, Hill 60 and the Caterpillar were very difficult places which required these changeovers. The Canadians claimed that most of the tunnelling work was completed by them and that the Australians kept the tunnels open and dug new ones to prevent the Germans reaching the main galleries. However, if you read through the diaries it is clear that the Australians did indeed dig out many yards of additional offensive as well as defensive galleries. The extent of the galleries can be gleaned from the coloured map included here:

http://ypres1917.3.forumer.com/index.php?s...c=736&st=20

Elsewhere in the post you can read about the criticism of the Australians for their initial slow progress largely due to them being unfamiliar with the clay kicking method of tunnel digging (itself based on tunnelling through London Clay).

Altogether a fascinating aspect of WW1 with much to be seen above ground for their subterranean endeavours.

Bernard

But no love story or slightly dodgy British Officer that may or may not be a spy...

What? A REAL film about the Great War?

Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs.

I've been reading about this for a while now and it looks like they've captured the essence of the whole. At least, I certainly hope so. What was shown on 60 minutes was a nice touch but took its usual biased approach not accounting for the work done by other nations. War is far too horrible to take any credit.

Jonathan

As Andy says a real film about the Great War.

I can't wait to watch it. The Aussies take the lead again.

Yes about time there was a new one the real deal, no love interest etc just action and facts of what happened .MC

I can forgive it being a bit Aussie-centric if it portrays tunnelling and the war accurately and honestly. The tunnel story is full of interest and will make a good yarn.

The Great War is crying out for a good straight portrayal and I hope this may be it. We shall see.

Hi all

Rats, missed the 60 minutes report, but it was articled in the Sunday Mail as well.

Looks great and will be good to watch.

I agree with Moggs last comment

regards

Robert

Hi all

Rats, missed the 60 minutes report, but it was articled in the Sunday Mail as well.

Looks great and will be good to watch.

I agree with Moggs last comment

regards

Robert

I quite enjoyed reading the book - got my copy here.

Mick

Mick

How would you describe the book - is the book of the film or entirely factual?

Simon

Nice little snippet on telly tonight [3 1/2 stars from reviewer saying that there may be too many flashbacks - but understands why] regarding the box that Tiffin gives to Woodward in the movie is the actual box. The family wanted it used!

Yes saw the program on TV about the 3 and half stars .The other reviewer gave it 3 time will tell .I intend going right at the start of the release at the movies.The director said its been a long time since there was a WW1 film with lots of battles scenes in it ,not just 15 minutes and the rest "fill in " so to speak sounds good .In his words he said "This is a real war movie starts with Battle continues with battles and ends with battles" :devilgrin: :devilgrin: :ph34r:

MC

I enjoyed reading that first chapter and felt that it was fairly concise in summarising the situation. Were there any glaring mistakes?