Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewis Gun Companys in 6th Notts & Derby

jamesalamont

Would anyone be so kind as to send me or post a transcript of the names of the Lewis Gun teams including reserve gunners for both 1/6th and 2/6th battalion Sherwood Foresters?

I'd also be interested in seeing any photos of the 2/6th battalion (portrait photos, actions shots, the works) that anyone may have knocking around. It's all to help with my research but also just generally interested and living a few hundred miles from the area I can't get down to the regimental museum!

James

James,

It is highly unlikely that the names of the Lewis Gun Teams have survived. Even in just two territorial battalions there would have been many, probably hundreds, of men who served as lewis gunners in the course of the war.

And "action shots"? Most men were fighting for their lives during action, not taking photographs of each other.

Ken, to confirm, I mean "action shots" as in any photograph of anybody in the battalion doing something. Whether it be cooking, writing, marching etc....basically anything other than posing is what I would class as an "action shot" and there are a fair few of these for other regiments so hopefully at some point some photographs were taken for the 2/6th.

James,

Now I understand.

The Imperial War Museum have a superb collection of photographs which are indexed and they may have some of the units you seek. I'm not sure of the contact details but 'google' is your friend.

Also, it might be worth dropping the Regimental Museum and e-mail. They might be able to suggest a source or two.

Ken

Would anyone be so kind as to send me or post a transcript of the names of the Lewis Gun teams including reserve gunners for both 1/6th and 2/6th battalion Sherwood Foresters?

I'd also be interested in seeing any photos of the 2/6th battalion (portrait photos, actions shots, the works) that anyone may have knocking around. It's all to help with my research but also just generally interested and living a few hundred miles from the area I can't get down to the regimental museum!

James

As Ken has pointed out, thats a difficult task you have set out but here is something to get you started.

This is a picture taken at camp probably at Hindlow in Derbyshire outside the Qtr Masters tent.

All are 6th Battalion men and some of them went on to win gallantry medals and other honours, one of them CQMS Hoult was to be killed in 1915. BRONNO.

post-30693-1269769666.jpg

James, here's a few of the 2/6th.

At Watford Summer of 1915; they have been issued with Japanese rifles which helps date photo

post-4619-1269861565.jpg

2/6th Battn Cooks round the back on the Empire Hotel in Buxton. Taken between Nov 1914 and early 1915

post-4619-1269861707.jpg

And I think that this is Lt Jellicoe's Platoon in 2/6th Battn. Again at Empire Hotel Buxton. I think Jellicoe is second from right, but I don't know who other Officer is. Bronno any ideas?

post-4619-1269861816.jpg

I have a similar picture but with an extra person and had it down as Scarborough 1909, but not sure why now :innocent:

post-4619-1269862242.jpg

And I think that this is Lt Jellicoe's Platoon in 2/6th Battn. Again at Empire Hotel Buxton. I think Jellicoe is second from right, but I don't know who other Officer is. Bronno any ideas?

post-4619-1269861816.jpg

Steve,

Its hard to tell, could do with a closer picture but possibly Francis Dawbarn Stones after comparing with another photo i have. He did serve with Jellicoe in 'C' Company in early 1915, can you make out his rank from your picture. I have a group photo of Officers taken at Buxton at this time and will try and find it out and see if i can identify him better from that. BRONNO.

Just a little sidenote but does anyone know anything about 2/Lt Brindley? Just generally what he did, where he went, and more specifically what he was doing in 1917?

Just a little sidenote but does anyone know anything about 2/Lt Brindley? Just generally what he did, where he went, and more specifically what he was doing in 1917?

I think you mean Frank Brindley? he had quite a distinguished career during the Great War.

He served in the Boer War and went over to join the 1st Battalion in South Africa, he was then a Sgt in the 2VB where he was MID, enlisted 1897.

He was with the 2/6th during the Irish Rebellion of 1916.

Also 2/Lt in the 2/6th Battalion where he won the Military Cross at Jeancourt (LG 18.6.1917) he was gassed in April 1916 and also wounded at Cambrai where he was invalided home.

During 1917 he was with the 4th Battalion stationed at home recovering from his injuries.

Served as the MG Officer with the 2/6th and was discharged on the 9th May 1919.

Also awarded the Croix de Guerre with Palm, Knight of the Order of St John and MID again. BRONNO.

Bronno.....when you say he served as the MG officer with the 2/6th....was this just after he was wounded or was that with his whole time in the 2/6th? I ask because another forum member has kindly sent me a transcript of the Lewis Gun teams from his diary and I'm just wondering why he would have made such a note.....but I guess that would answer it!