Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R BERKS Officer Uniform-Untraceable Owner

mark holden

I bought this R BERKS TF Officers 'Wind Up' a couple of years ago along with a case full of his shirts, ties and other personal items. The tunic, watch whistle and case are all named or initialled to a Lt/Capt J W Williams. The mystery is that I can find no evidence of this officer-nothing at TNA, The R BERKS Museum have no record of this officer yet as you can see his pocket watch is engraved to him his tunic is named to him I even have a picture of his wife-Violet Williams-so its a complete mystery. Still a very good example of the Wind Up tunic.

Mark

I bought this R BERKS TF Officers 'Wind Up' a couple of years ago along with a case full of his shirts, ties and other personal items. The tunic, watch whistle and case are all named or initialled to a Lt/Capt J W Williams. The mystery is that I can find no evidence of this officer-nothing at TNA, The R BERKS Museum have no record of this officer yet as you can see his pocket watch is engraved to him his tunic is named to him I even have a picture of his wife-Violet Williams-so its a complete mystery. Still a very good example of the Wind Up tunic.

Mark

post-11424-1269710543.jpg

post-11424-1269710590.jpg

Funny this should be 1/4th Berks; as I have a Feb 1917 shoulder rank to an officer in the same battalion. Same story - nothing on the MICs, no mention in Cruttwell's 1922 The War Service of the 1/4th Royal Berkshire Regiment (not your man either) etc etc.

Perhaps there's a big 1/4th Berks black hole into which its officers' records have disappeared...

Best wishes,

GT.

Well a J. Williams married a Violet. M Bassil, 1916, in Windsor district, and a Daughter Mary J.V. Williams born Eton dist also 1916, if that is any lead.

Alan

Maybe not so untraceable:

London Gazette 23rd August 1918 (pages 9834 / '5): The following officers will have seniority in the rank of Lieutenant from the dates specified against their Name: ..... Lieut. J W Williams, 11th April 1916..... and

Papers Past Napier NZ

(Sorry, the dates appear to be Maori (or Finnish!))

".... Captain J W Williams is granted the temporary rank of Major until further notice.

It may be that this is a relation:-

Name: WILLIAMS, STANLEY CHARLES

Initials: S C

Nationality: New Zealand

Regiment/Service: New Zealand Military Forces

Unit Text: Home Service Section.

Date of Death: 12/04/1917

Additional information: Youngest son of Herbert and Martha Williams, of Wellington.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 55. D. C. of E. No. 2.

Cemetery: WELLINGTON (KARORI) CEMETERY

If so might help trace any surviving relatives....

Don't ask, I've no idea how a Kiwi turns up in this!! I just Google and pass on what I find!!!

Funny this should be 1/4th Berks; as I have a Feb 1917 shoulder rank to an officer in the same battalion. Same story - nothing on the MICs, no mention in Cruttwell's 1922 The War Service of the 1/4th Royal Berkshire Regiment (not your man either) etc etc.

Perhaps there's a big 1/4th Berks black hole into which its officers' records have disappeared...

Best wishes,

GT.

Its not just officers records in the 1st/4th which have disappeared - the museum has hardly any records of any of the Territorial battalions. I would suspect that they had been held by an administrative officer of the Berkshire Territorial Association and he hung on to them after the territorials were disembodied in 1919

regards

John

Many thanks to all who replied-I am a lot further on than I was before I posted this thread. It appears from the LG that Capt J W Williams was at one time Indian Army. There is some evidence of a Trio Ribbon Bar or at leaset three medal ribbons above the left pocket.

thanks one and all

Mark

Its not just officers records in the 1st/4th which have disappeared - the museum has hardly any records of any of the Territorial battalions. I would suspect that they had been held by an administrative officer of the Berkshire Territorial Association and he hung on to them after the territorials were disembodied in 1919

regards

John