Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding George Arthur Godfrey

simb

I've been trying to find out anything about great-grandfather George Arthur Godfrey but am running out of ideas. He was a solicitor, lived at Regents Park Rd, Finchley. He had been gassed which caused him to spend time in sanatoriums (Preston Hall near Maidstone) in the 1930s. There is no family recollections of regiment etc, no photos, no medals. I've gone through the burnt records, on microfilm, at an LDS Family History Centre & found nothing. There's about 50 possibles in the MICs. Any other ideas?

Sim..

Sim,

Put down everything you know, dob, where born etc. will have a look for you on ancestry. Probably will do no good, but it cannot harm either.

Susan.

George Arthur Godfrey

b. 1875, Putney, Surry

m. 3 Jun 1889, Ellen Harrold

3 children George Harold Godfrey b. 1902, Phyllis b. 1903, Wilfred b. 1910

Occupation in 1902 Solicitor

Residence in 1902 was Regents Park Rd, Finchley, could be at 52 Manor View, Finchley/Barnet by 1914-18

Many thanks, Sim..

Does this have any relationship?

Name: GODFREY, OLIVER CYRIL

Initials: O C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps

Unit Text: 27th Sqdn.

Date of Death: 23/09/1916

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Florence Amy Haines (formerly Godfrey), of "Roma," 34, Church Crescent, Church End, Finchley, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. F. 12.

Cemetery: POINT-DU-JOUR MILITARY CEMETERY, ATHIES

Don't believe so, don't have any Olivers or Cyrils in my tree, but thanks anyway.

Sim

Hi Sim,

Nothing much comes up with any combination of those details. Will dig a bit deeper.....

be in touch

Susan.

Try the Law Society-Rolls of Honour do exist and he may have been a recipient of benefits from the Solicitors Benevolent Fund. I had the misfortune to be a Solicitor for 25 years courtesy of my parent's introductions. Now retired through ill health a life sentence would have been shorter!!

Peridot

Sorry Sim, nothing to be found I am afraid.

Susan.

If he was a solicitor he might well have been an officer. Officers were not automatically issued with the normal war service medals, but had to apply for them and not all did so. You might need to check the files at Kew to see if he served as an officer. Files for army officers are not digitised and have to be viewed at the Archives.

Keith

Whoops, just seen where you are. You might be lucky and a forum member visiting Kew might be able to check for you.

The 1911 census has him living at Beauryard Regents Park Road, with his wife and two children, but you probably know that already.

Keith

sim

Two Officer service files at Kew for G GODFREY,WO339/80582 and WO339/121686. No second initial but often only had the first one shown. Someone here with a WO338 index might be able to say if one of them is his.

Sotonmate

Hi Sim

In 1926 and 1927 he is listed in British Phone Books at 57 St.Paul's Churchyard EC4 , a solicitor and there is a second entry for a G.A.Godfrey at 52 Manor View NW3. I know it doesn't help with his Service records but it's something else to have a go at. Will keep looking.

Regards Barry

PS 1901 census" Beauregarde", Finchley Park Rd, same as 1911. I think we can assume he didn't have previous military service to 14/18 from the info. you have. Do you have the children's birth certs.? Ellen Snowden Harrold/Godfrey

Not that it is relevant to the quest at hand, but this is the gentleman in question, with the family at Beauregard, 120 Regents Park Rd. I remember the house well. I had recently thought of the possibility he might have been an officer. I have inquired about Absent Voter lists for Finchley & Barnet but was told they are merely marked A, with no other information.

Sim..

post-11933-1269730728.jpg

Two Officer service files at Kew for G GODFREY,WO339/80582 and WO339/121686. No second initial but often only had the first one shown. Someone here with a WO338 index might be able to say if one of them is his.

You can discount both files, WO339/80582 is for a Granville Pelham Hayes Godfrey and WO339/121686 is for George Thomas Godfrey. The WO338 index shows no officer called George Arthur Godfrey.

Regards

Steve

No Military references on the London Gazette but there were a couple relating to his Solicitors business:

NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us, the undersigned, George Arthur Godfrey and Wilfrid Henry

Godfrey, carrying on business as Solicitors, at 4 and 5, West Smithfield, in the city of London, under the style or firm of " GODFREY AND GODFREY," has

been dissolved by mutual consent as from the thirtyfirst day of December, 1910. All debts due and owing to or by the said late firm will be received

or paid by the said Wilfrid Henry Godfrey. And such business will be carried on in the future by the said Wilfrid Henry Godfrey.—As witness our hands

this 9th day of January, 1911.

GEO. A. GODFREY.

WILF. H. GODFREY.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/28456/pages/340

A later 1930 reference:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/33639/pages/5405

Steve.

That's interesting. Wilfred was my mother's "Rich Uncle"

The record of Solicitors and Articled Clerks in the Great War contains two references to "Godfrey"s. Wilfred is there but George is not:

CECIL ARNOLD GODFREY.

Admitted March 1906. Member of Hind & Godfrey, of Nottingham.

Joined March 1916, as Private, Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry. Commissioned 2nd Lieut. Loyal North Lancashire Regt. June 1916, promoted Lieut. Feb. 1917, Capt. April 1917, appointed Staff Capt. May 1918, and promoted Major June 1919. Three times mentioned in Dispatches. Awarded the M.C, and the Belgian Chevalier de I'ordre de la Couronne and Croix de Guerre. Served in France and Belgium Aug. 1916 to Nov. 1918.

WILFRID HENRY GODFREY.

Admitted May 1904, practising at 4 & 5 West Smithfield, E.C. Joined June 21, 1916, as Sub-Lieut., Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (Yacht Patrol), promoted Lieut. June 1917 (Auxiliary Patrol), Lieut, (in command) M.L. 227 June 1918. Served in North Sea.

See:

http://www.archive.org/details/recordofserviceo00soli

Steve.

Sim.

How do you know he was gassed?

If purely from family oral history there is a possibility that his stay in the sanatorium was not war related.

That said, from the 1920's the hospital and nearby village were acquired by the Royal British Legion to help disabled and tuberculous ex-servicemen - which suggests he was ex-services.

Good luck with your search

Neil

Having read through this thread, it would seem

1. He was 40 years old at the start of the war. Less likely to be sent abroad

2. He was a solicitor and you would expect therefore an officer

3. There is no officers record of him at Kew or on Solicitors records

4. Conscription - The Military Service Act of January 1916 specified that single men between the ages of 18 and 41 were liable to be called-up for military service unless they were widowed with children or ministers of religion. I assume he just fell within that by a few months

5. If he was not sent to France then he would have no medal card. But if he actually was gassed then he should have a medal card.

So on what has been found out so far, the balance of probability seems to be that he was a Private soldier, and was gassed, and that his card should be one of the stack that you cannot decide on.

But it does seem very odd that a solicitor of 40 should be a Private in France.

Sim.

How do you know he was gassed?

If purely from family oral history there is a possibility that his stay in the sanatorium was not war related.

That said, from the 1920's the hospital and nearby village were acquired by the Royal British Legion to help disabled and tuberculous ex-servicemen - which suggests he was ex-services.

Good luck with your search

Neil

Pretty well family oral history, although my mother still recalls visiting him at Preston Hall. I had started wondering if his condition might be more related to years of London smog & tobacco use.. being at Aylesford does suggest some ex-services connection though.

Don't suppose the Legion has records from that era?