Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

south lancs regt

ozscouse

Good day i am trying to research my gfathers army service with the south lancs regt his name David Patric Walsh served during the great war possible acting as a sergeant THANSK FOR ANY INFO ,CURRANBUN

Hi - and welcome to the Forum.

I can see three men called David Walsh in the South Lancs. Only this one is shown as A/Sgt: the other two are Privates.

Name: David Walsh

Regiment or Corps: South Lancashire Regiment, Labour Corps

Regimental Number: 13556, 223148

Hopefully a useful starting point for our experts.

Good day i am trying to research my gfathers army service with the south lancs regt his name David Patric Walsh served during the great war possible acting as a sergeant THANSK FOR ANY INFO ,CURRANBUN

GOOD DAY VERRICO Thank you for your promt reply with the info on gdad its very good of you,although it does make me ask is do you think the labour corps is possible emloyed in removal of our dead troops?I also noticed his pay no has changed to a six figure number ?? I am a over o b e vetran, 6 of us lads in my family five army one R N we did;nt know our grandad how proud we would have been, many thanks curranbun, I salute them all

Hi - and welcome to the Forum.

I can see three men called David Walsh in the South Lancs. Only this one is shown as A/Sgt: the other two are Privates.

Name: David Walsh

Regiment or Corps: South Lancashire Regiment, Labour Corps

Regimental Number: 13556, 223148

Hopefully a useful starting point for our experts.

I'm a relative novice still learning about the Great War myself but I do believe the Labour Corps undertook a lot of different tasks - I've come accross them in charge of PoWs and I don't think it's too much of a stretch of the imagination to believe they would have been involved in organising the tidying up of the batt;efields, although from what I have read, I think Chinese labour was often emp;oyed to do the actual work, certainly after the War finished and the graves were being readied for visits. Is there any reason to think that might have been the work he undertooK? Also I think transfer to the Labour Corps often occurred after some sort of injury or disability which meant the men were no longer A1 fit for frontline duty. Does that sound possible?

Obviously a proud tradition in your family - I imagine he would also have been proud of you all too.

Many thanks Verrico yes i imagine thats the reason for his acting status whilst occupied in labor duties oral history says he was disabled by gassing ,If i may digress he was put on the sail training ship Gibaraltor in Belfast harbour as a boy ,on leaving joined the merchant navy arrived home from a trip had a few beers with a mate full of dutch courage both of them marched or staggerd into the enlisting office joined the army what amazed me was he sailed to france on the same ship he had worked on as a seaman The T & J Harrison cargo boat THE HISTORIAN ,hope the little tale is ok Thanks again from a old Scouser, VERRICO Cheers curranbun

,post-48695-1269833238.jpg

I'm a relative novice still learning about the Great War myself but I do believe the Labour Corps undertook a lot of different tasks - I've come accross them in charge of PoWs and I don't think it's too much of a stretch of the imagination to believe they would have been involved in organising the tidying up of the batt;efields, although from what I have read, I think Chinese labour was often emp;oyed to do the actual work, certainly after the War finished and the graves were being readied for visits. Is there any reason to think that might have been the work he undertooK? Also I think transfer to the Labour Corps often occurred after some sort of injury or disability which meant the men were no longer A1 fit for frontline duty. Does that sound possible?

Obviously a proud tradition in your family - I imagine he would also have been proud of you all too.