Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is this medal for?

iipboss

As a result of a project my daughter is doing involving a visit to the war graves around Ypres I have been doing some family tracing and I have had a great deal of help from this Forum (The soldiers section). Having managed to find the grave of my great great uncle I have now tried to trace some details relating to his father.

All I have to go on is one medal but from this I have managed to download the medal card from the national archives. What I can’t find is what the medal is for.

I would be really grateful if someone could tell from the attached document what the medal is for?

No one in my family knows whether this relative died in the war, in fact not much is known about him at all. I have posted onto the soldiers forum all the details to see if anyone can help. But for now I would be grateful for any help relating to this medal.

Thank you for your assistance.

Kevin.

post-54241-1269643307.jpg

I dont think he died,Kevin.

He was awarded an 1915 star & War & Victory medal.

He started with the Black Watch & seems to have transfered to the Seaforth Highlanders.

Many experts will be along this weekend to expand on this

Dave.

Expanding a little on what Dave's already said; your relative was awarded the 1914-15 Star, the British War Medal, and the Victory Medal. The medal card also states that he served in France (theatre of war served in - 1) and that he landed there on 24th February 1915. The early(ish) entry date suggests that he was either a regular soldier, a reservist, or a Territorial. I'm not sure that many of Kitchener's volunteers would have arrived as early as February 1915, but I'm happy to be proven wrong!

P.S. There doesn't seem to be a matching record on CWGC, so it looks like he survived the war...as Dave already suggested :)

Welcome to the forum,

His battalion in the Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) may be on the medal roll: these are not online some regimental museums hold copies, but the main stock is at thye UK National Archive Kew.

WO 329/2521 Scottish Horse other ranks: medal rolls CC/1A (page 1A); CC/1B, CC/46B-B9 (pages 1A-65A); CC/1C, CC/46C (pages 1C-6C). 1914-15 Star. Original document.

WO 329/24 Scottish Horse: medal rolls CC/102B1; CC/102B2; CC/102B3; CC/102B4; CC/102B5; CC/102B6; CC/102B7; CC/102B8; CC/102B9; CC/102B10 (Pages 1-105). British War and Victory Medal. I think this is on microfilm.

Kevin,

I'm not an expert on the Royal Highlanders, but I would hazard a guess that the low service number and relatively early date of entry into a Theatre of War indicates service with a Territorial Battalion.

Regards

Steve

It would help to know what Medal it is YOU have?? It may be one of the Campaign medals on the Card but could be something else?*

[ie a Gallantry or Territorial Force Efficiency/Efficiency Medal,which would be on a further Index Card....]

Hi Kevin,do your family have any connection with Dundee ? it looks as if your man may have been with the 4th Black Watch,( Dundees Own )looking at other lads that were K.I.A from the fourth such as Pte 2063 Andrew Strachan and Pte 2068 William Dair just two lads from the 4th B/W,and with the same date of entry of 24/02/1915. I think it`s a good bet.

all the best Gary.

dundeesown said:
Hi Kevin,do your family have any connection with Dundee ? it looks as if your man may have been with the 4th Black Watch,( Dundees Own )looking at other lads that were K.I.A from the fourth such as Pte 2063 Andrew Strachan and Pte 2068 William Dair just two lads from the 4th B/W,and with the same date of entry of 24/02/1915. I think it`s a good bet.

all the best Gary.

Hi Gary my mum's family are from Dundee, in fact they are still there, as is my mum. This realtive was the father of a solidier that I orignially started researching for my daughter. (To great success)

It is not believed that he died during the war as my mother now thinks she might have some memories of him. I was interested in the story as it looks like father and son went to war but only the father returned. Thanks for your help.

All the the best

Kevin.