Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3296 - Charles Henry White - Sherwood Foresters

jamesalamont

I have been researching my grandad for some time now. I have found information about his brother Daniel, possibly his other brother Thomas, but very little information seems to survive about my grandfather. Typically, there are family myths flying around about what he did but none of these can be confirmed. It has taken me years to get to a point where I am confident to say that his service number was 3296 (although one person replied to me saying they had him listed as 3269). So this is what I know of him:

Name: Charles Henry White

Address: in 1911 he was living in Holmewood, Chesterfield. However, his family lived at 25 Vickers Street, Warsop, Mansfield and apparently he moved here at some point during or immediately after the war.

He was born: 18/02/1893 in Normanton or South Normanton

Parents: James & Sarah White

Army number: 3296 then moved to 22nd London Regt number 693555

Believe he was injured in the hand on 28th September 1916

We also THINK he was in the 2/6th battalion Sherwood Foresters.

If anyone has any relatives in this battalion, has any records that may mention him, has any ideas other than the usual "records at Kew" or anything at all to go on to help me find his records I would be much obliged if you could get in touch with me please

James

Woody, do you have a list of the Lewis gun teams for 2/6th Sherwood Foresters? circa 1916 - 1917