Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th (Hull) Heavy Battery of the Royal Garison Artillery

tanks3

Hi,

Is there any knowledgeable forumite out there who could give me any info on the 11th (Hull) Heavy Battery of the Royal Garison Artillery during WW1. I can't seem to locate a lot about them. I believe they spent a great deal of the war out in the Congo, which is perhaps why there isn't much info on the net about them?

Grateful to hear as ever

Tanks3

Tanks3

Not the Congo but they did serve in East Africa.

I suggest you drop Roop (aka Kondoa) a PM, the 11th (Hull) Heavy Battery is his area of expertise.

Regards

Steve

Tanks3

Originally raised as 1st Hull Heavy battery on the 7th Sept'14 the battery was redesignated 11th (Hull) Heavy battery 1st May'15.

The battery went out to East Africa on the 8th Feb'16 arriving in Mombassa on the 14th Mar'16 now armed with 5" BL Howitzers . The battery was split into two sections and redesignated 11th & 13th Howitzer batteries, this designation was only to apply in East Africa.

In April'17 the 11th (Hull) Heavy battery was reformed from units from the 38th Brigade and returned to England in early 1918 landing at Plymouth on the 31st.

On the 1st Mar'18 11th Heavy battery was redesignated 545 Siege battery, re-armed with 4 x 6" Guns and posted to F&F on the 17th July'18, the Guns arriving a few days later.

This is a quick version, Kondoa, a Forum member, should be able to help you more, his Grandfather was a member.

Stuart

Essdee,

That's brilliant. Thanks for your helpful and quick reply. The post was on behalf of a friend and I will pass the info onto him. If he needs more I will try and get hold of Kondoa, as you suggest

Tanks3

• 4 months later...