Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Royal Artillery at Le Cateau (Maj. A.F. Becke), 1919

lostinspace

For those of you interested in the early years; includes OOB of R.A. for the Cavalry, 3rd, 4th and 5th Divisions plus commanding officers down to battery and brigade ammn. columns. http://www.archive.org/details/royalregimentofa00beck

Regards,

lostinspace

Thanks - have added it my virtual library index. This online edition contains some useful handwritten annotations in the text. You are correct its a very useful book - I purchased my copy some thirty years ago in a second hand book shop complete with maps.

Books on line are very much the voque these days.

Philip

Philip,

Whoever had the book seems to have been preoccupied with the loss of guns, can't quite make out the name inside the cover but one of the newspaper clippings is from around 1937. I printed out a few of the maps and most of the details are quite clear.

Dave

Yes I agree with you - pre-occupied with annotations re loss of guns. I can't make out the pencil signature but there are sure to be those in this Forum who will enjoy the challenge of doing so.

The bonus in this particular on line edition of this book are the newspaper cuttings, in particular the article by Brigadier-General C.De Sausmarez pasted in to the blank pages of the back of the book. Page 1 of his article is included for those who may not have read it before - The Stand at Le Cateau 26 August 1914.

post-48147-1269722717.jpg

I am sure it will prompt others to read his lengthy appreciation.

Philip