Loyal North Lancs expert needed

johndavidswarbrick

I'm trying to find out more about this man:

Medal Index Card:

Swarbrick Arthur, Loyal North Lancs, Private, 6903

Discharged

Disembarkation date: 12th August 1914

B. E. F.

Arthur Swarbrick must have been a member of the 1st Battalion who were stationed at Aldershot in August 1914. With the declaration of war on 4th August, the Battalion were mobilised and landed at Le Harve 12/13th August 1914. I can't find any surviving papers for him, but I am presuming that he was a pre-war regular.

Can anyone tell me, based on his service number, when his likely enlistment date would have been?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Swarbrick

Just re-posting in the hope that any of the experts who missed it the first time round might feel inspired to give an opinion,

Dave Swarbrick

Can anyone tell me, based on his service number, when his likely enlistment date would have been?

(Approx.) October 1902.

Dave

from Paul Nixon's superb blog:

6316 joined on 15th June 1900

6521 joined on 18th April 1901

6717 joined on 28th January 1902

7037 joined on 6th January 1903

7757 joined on 13th January 1904

just one worry: he COULD have been a Special Reservist, many battalions needed literally hundreds to complete to War Establishment. I have no visibility of SR numbering for that regiment. SR battalions that continued to use the old Militia numbering series often have men with similar numbers to your man, and no prefix.

Case not proven.

If he were in the Special Reserve would that imply an enlistment date after 1908?

I'm trying to identify this man and the only clue might be his age - he's proving difficult.

Dave Swarbrick

The SR was formed in 1908, obtaining many of its men from the predecessor Militia battalion. Some SR continued the old Militia series of numbers, some started at 1 in 1908. I don't have the facts for your regiment.

But, no, we cannot make any deduction of when he enlisted without understanding the numbering series.

The SR was formed in 1908, obtaining many of its men from the predecessor Militia battalion. Some SR continued the old Militia series of numbers, some started at 1 in 1908. I don't have the facts for your regiment.

But, no, we cannot make any deduction of when he enlisted without understanding the numbering series.

I understand that. However, if this man was in the Special reserve then he should have been no more than 40 years old in 1914, if I've understood the LLT correctly, so the earliest that he could have been born would be 1874 and if he was a regular - enlisting in or about October 1902, then the earliest he could have been born would be 1886. Which should mean that the man I'm trying to identify would have a birth year between 1874 and 1886. Is that a reasonable hypothesis?

Thanks for your continuing help.

Dave Swarbrick