Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred Campion Notts and Derby

john gregory

Do any forum members have any further information on 1682 Pte. Alfred Campion, 1st / 5th Notts and Derby. The info that I have is that he enlisted on the 12.6.1912 and went to France on the 1.3.1915, wounded then discharged on the 20.7.1916. How could I find out when and where he was wounded and how long would it be from when he was unfit for duty to being discharged. His silver War Badge number is 7196. Also did he live and enlist in Derby. Thanks, JG

Hi John, I believe 1/5th SF were a TF battalion who went to France in February 1915 and in May 1915 became part of 139th Brigade 46th (North Midlands) Division. If your man was discharged in July 1916 he is not likely to have fought at Gommecourt on 1st July 1916 therefore, he could well have been severely wounded at the Hohenzollern Redoubt in October 1915 or at Hooge in July 1915. Do you know the extent of his wounds?

Jonathan

Hi John, I believe 1/5th SF were a TF battalion who went to France in February 1915 and in May 1915 became part of 139th Brigade 46th (North Midlands) Division. If your man was discharged in July 1916 he is not likely to have fought at Gommecourt on 1st July 1916 therefore, he could well have been severely wounded at the Hohenzollern Redoubt in October 1915 or at Hooge in July 1915. Do you know the extent of his wounds?

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan, no I do'nt know about his wounds. JG

• 3 weeks later...

I found your post last night quite by accident. This is my great uncle who was discharged after suffering gas poisoning but survived to return to normal life in Derby where he had lived previously and enlisted. I would be grateful for any further information you have as to his war record.

I found your post last night quite by accident. This is my great uncle who was discharged after suffering gas poisoning but survived to return to normal life in Derby where he had lived previously and enlisted. I would be grateful for any further information you have as to his war record.

Peter, I can not send you a pm with my email address because your message box is disabled. Do know anything else about him, any photo's, where he lived in Derby etc. JG

• 2 weeks later...
Peter, I can not send you a pm with my email address because your message box is disabled. Do know anything else about him, any photo's, where he lived in Derby etc. JG

John.......Can you access now? Peter

John

Found your man on a SWB data base for notts and derby men that someone on the forum sent me.

Sorry I cannot give credit to who it was, as I no longer have the info.

The entry below gives his no. as 2682 which may be a typo on the data base or SWB roles.

The good thing is that his SWB is the same number

Campion Alfred 2682

Private 1/5th Enlisted 12/06/12 Discharged 20/07/16

Reason for discharge Wounds SWB 7196

HTH

Pete

John

Found your man on a SWB data base for notts and derby men that someone on the forum sent me.

Sorry I cannot give credit to who it was, as I no longer have the info.

The entry below gives his no. as 2682 which may be a typo on the data base or SWB roles.

The good thing is that his SWB is the same number

Campion Alfred 2682

Private 1/5th Enlisted 12/06/12 Discharged 20/07/16

Reason for discharge Wounds SWB 7196

HTH

Pete

Thanks Pete, JG

• Admin

Peter,

when you have made 5 posts you can send and receive PMs.

Michelle

John.......Can you access now? Peter

Peter I still cannot send you a pm, it states " personal messenger is disabled or they are in a member group not allowed to use the personal messenger "

I do not know what is happening, perhaps some member knows. JG

• Admin

John please see post above, Michelle