Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner RHA, KIA Gallipoli, name on Basra Memorial?

Ravrick

Hi,

I am researching Gunner 80007 Frank Roger Wheeler from B Battery, Royal Horse Artillery, 29th division, who was Killed in Action on the 29th August 1915 at Gallipoli. The strange thing is, according to his service papers on ancestory it states that he was KIA on the Gallipoli Peninsular on 29.08.15, reported by OC Bty 30.08.15. However the CWGC list him as 80007 Gunner FR Wheeler B Bty Royal Field Artillery, 29.08.15 commemorated on the BASRA memorial Iraq! Some confusion on the part of the CWGC? Could these details be ammended? Surely his name should be on the Helles memorial? Any ideas?

If anybody has the war diary to B Bty, this may shed some light.

Cheers,

Rick

Rick

I have followed your facts and agree with your conclusion !

There are people here who have some experience of this,I would normally be able to quote one of them,but the names elude me today !

The CWGC Home page has a mechanism for reporting such things as they state they want their records to be as accurate as possible. They want documentary evidence as well,so I would think that there is sufficent in the service record to convince them of the error.

THis soldier's entry in SDGW shows the same date of death but then shows serving in British Expeditionary Force ! It also shows him as RHA and RFA.

The notes on the top of one of the pages of the service record shows arrival in Alexandria on 31.3.1915 (same as the MIC) and then arrival in Gallipoli on 27.4.1915.

Sotonmate

Hi

I have exactly the same situation with a man of 13/DLI who is KiA on the Somme clearly named in the Adjutants war diary and the medal rolls.

CWGC have him KiA with 2/DLI and commemorated on the Menin Gate.

regards

John

In August 1915 'B' Battery, RHA was a part of 15 Brigade, RHA serving at Cape Helles. 80007 Gnr F R Wheeler, B/RHA is recorded in the 29th Divisional Artillery War Record and Honours Book as a casualty of the 29th Divisional Artillery while at Gallipoli. Regards, Dick Flory

Hi Guys,

many thanks, I will see if I can get in touch with the CWGC and let you know the outcome,

Cheers,

Rick