Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you help please

kipperstagg

Can anyone help please?

I'm trying to find any details on this soldier (JAS C STAGG 4717 ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY Later number 832094 ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY Entitled to WORLD WAR I pair Resided Selby.)

however when I have tried to look him up in Ancestry.com medal index card I can find no records and is the Jas a name prefix?

I'm totally confused???? :huh::huh::huh:

any help would be most appreciated.

Jas is an accepted shortened form (at that time) for James.

Try looking again using either James of just the initial J.

I've just had a look and yes, it's on Ancestry, first one using the name James in the search terms.

He has 14 pages in the "Pension records" on Ancestry, under 832094 James Croper Stagg. BUT he was from Bristol, so are you sure that is the right man?

On looking through the records it would appear Croper was written down instead of Charles - surprisingly not by Ancestry but by the clerk at the time. His name was James Charles Stagg.

Yes, he was residing in Bristol at the time (at least his father was) but that doesn't preclude him from having originated in Selby.

Kipperstagg, have you any other 'evidence' to identify this gentleman as your relative?

It appears that the records rightly belong to James Croker STAGG, but maybe he used Charles and/or Croper to disguise his true identity because he added a couple of years to his age to join up!

He was born in Westbury on Trym, Glos, in Q4 1899 (7 November according to his christening record), so was only 15 (!) on enlisting in Jan 1915, although he apparently gave his age as 18 years and 10 months.

His Statement as to Disability correctly gives his Age Last Birthday as 19 in 1919.

The NoK info (mother Edna, father Thomas Nathaniel, West View, Pilning, Bristol) matches the 1911 census entry for the 11yo James Croker Stagg.

But no Selby connection! He died in Bristol in 1971.

Is kipperstagg perhaps looking for a C Stagg from Selby, as he/she was unclear on the meaning of "Jas"?

Adrian

Firstly than you to all those who have helped me so far! Your information is invaluable and has started me on the right track!

The only info I have is family hearsay and what is stamped on the 1914-18 medal

(jas c stagg 4717 RFA)

Someone suggested Selby within my own family but most of my families roots are in Gloucestershire. And besides no one even knows J.C.Stagg’s full name in my own family?

The medal was just handed down through my Grandfather after he died and was found in a draw, my aunt (Now in her late 80’s) suggested a Selby connection!