Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut Albert Victor Ashe. R.E. National Archives

ulsterlad2

Hello, anybody who's in the know.

If you can work the National Archives search function could you check to see if

the service record of 2nd Lieut / Lieut Albert Victor Ashe, Royal Engineers is there.

Albert Victor Ashe's record is held at NA, Kew under the following reference;

WO339/109039 ASHE A [1914-1922]

Regards

Steve

ul2

There are two service records for name ASHE A (no second initials but not uncommon later in the war),they are: WO339/109039 and 125499.

Sotonmate

Edit: Steve must have the WO338 index !

Edit: Steve must have the WO338 index !

I do indeed ;):D

Lt. A.V. Ashe, according to his MIC, went to France in September 1917 and served with 327 Quarrying Company. I haven't seen his record, but know from the MIC that he had a SWB, and from the Gazette that he relinquished his commission after the War due to ill-health. He was also serving at the Road Troops Depot at Salamanca Barracks, Aldershot in the Summer of 1917.

Did he have Irish connections? 327 was a company formed at the Curragh from Irish volunteers, and their original officers were Irish residents, as far as I can tell.

Would be very interested in any info from the family, as there aren't all that many officers who served with the Q Companies - establishment being a Captain & 3 subalterns.

Dave

Dave

With regard to his SWB, the MIC only states that he had applied for it, there is no roll reference number which would confirm the entitlement. Nor does he appear in Alan Stewart's Book" Services Rendered" Vol 1 Nominal Roll of the SWB - Officers. It looks like it was refused.

TR

ul2

IF I get time next week I will look at the file.

Sotonmate

Dave

With regard to his SWB, the MIC only states that he had applied for it, there is no roll reference number which would confirm the entitlement. Nor does he appear in Alan Stewart's Book" Services Rendered" Vol 1 Nominal Roll of the SWB - Officers. It looks like it was refused.

TR

Terry,

Thanks for clearing that up about the SWB - I obviously need to pay closer attention to the MICs in future.

ul2

Not a lot in the file WO339/109039,mostly deals with his medical condition and eventual relinquishment of his Commission in 1920. Rheumatic fever as a child and a return of similar symptoms whilst at war with 327 Quarrying Company.

I have two pics from the file which,if you'd like them,can be sent if you PM your e-mail address.

Sotonmate

Nor does he appear in Alan Stewart's Book" Services Rendered" Vol 1 Nominal Roll of the SWB - Officers.

TR

Hi Terry

Could I ask a big favour, could you please look up the following in the above book, as it sounds like you have a copy ?

Hugh Kinghorn GREY(sometimes spelt GRAY)

on his MIC it states

SWB Eligible 19.3.19, LG 27.3.19. 169510 / B

Regards

Peter

Peter

There is no entry I am afraid. That does not mean to say that he didn't receive it, but neither does it mean that the MIC is correct as either. Nor can I guarantee the publication, although a lot of hard work has gone into it.

TR