Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herbert Astell

Guest clive morris

Guest clive morris

My Great Uncle is buried at Rocuigny-Equancourt Road Cemetery. His was in "A" Bty. 156 Bde of the Royal Field Artillery. I can't find any information about this brigade or its whereabouts on 18 September 1918. However, I've just found out that the battle of Epehy occurred on this date and Epehy is only a few kilometres from this cemetery. Can anyone give me any further information about the brigade and the likelyhood that he died during this campaign?

A Bty CLVI Bde was raised at Camberwell sometime between 14/1-/3/1915.

They were attached to the 33rd Div.

Reached Bulford between 5-10/8/1915.

Embarked at Southampton on 12-13/12/1915 and completed its concentration at Aire and Thiennes.

Arthur

Clive - this was a Vth Corps action to the north of Epehy, 21st, 17th, and 38th Divisions attacking, with 33rd Division in support.

17th Div was supported by 156th and 162nd Brigades RFA (from 33rd Division) and 122nd Bde RFA (from 38th Division), two Army Brigades and 22nd Bde RGA.

The objective was roughly the line Villers Hill > Villers-Guislain > Gonnelieu, just on the northern side of the Corps boundary, with Epehy just south of the boundary in IIIrd Corps area.

Your great-uncle's burial ties-in with these dispositions.

Regards - Tom