Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Border Regiment

JillT57

Firstly I hope I have placed this request correctly. I really wasn't sure whether it should be here or in the individuals' section. Sorry if I have it wrong.

I am currently researching my family history and looking into the military service of three of my grandmother's brothers who served in the Great War. In relation to this particular brother, the youngest, from his medal rolls index card I have his regiment, rank and regimental number.

With this information, I wrote to the Border regiment museum but unfortunately they could tell me no more than I already knew, other than the fact that the number indicated enlistment in late 1917 or early 1918.

I am wondering whether there is in fact any way to tell which batttalion someone was attached to from the number? I was told that a regimental museum wasn't always the best place to start other than for the Scots Guards and that my assumption that they would have a great deal of information was incorrect. Members of the forum have already helped me a great deal in my research over the eldest brother, so I thought it worth asking, even though it means revealing what a total novice I am at this.

The soldier in question is Private Sydney G. Beats, Border Regiment, No.35385.

I'd be grateful for any information at all.

Jill

I am wondering whether there is in fact any way to tell which batttalion someone was attached to from the number?

Yes, in a manner of speaking.

From the name & number you can access the Medal Index Card (available through Ancestry or the National Archives website). This will give you some reference numbers to the actual Medal Rolls (held at the National Archives - not online). The Rolls give battalion and the only documents that are accurate (everything lese may be guesswork -unless the soldier died).

Thank you for that information, John , I have the reference numbers, but I assume from what you say that I'd need to visit TNA in person. Is that correct?

J

The Ledger you seek is WO329/1240 page 3530,on which will be the detail of his Battalion on landing in his first war theatre. Only viewable on site at Kew.

Sotonmate

Jill

2 Border Regt is shown on the original Medal Roll. I have a pic of the roll if you want it PM me your e-mail. See this from the LLT for activities as part of 20 brigade of 7 Division:

http://www.1914-1918.net/7div.htm

Sotonmate

Jill

2 Border Regt is shown on the original Medal Roll. I have a pic of the roll if you want it PM me your e-mail. See this from the LLT for activities as part of 20 brigade of 7 Division:

http://www.1914-1918.net/7div.htm

Sotonmate

Thanks, sotonmate. I'd appreciate that. Have sent PM. I've just dicovered I had enough posts to send one, I thought I needed 10.

J

Pic sent.

The War Dairies for 2 Border are under:

WO95/1655 (France and Flanders) for the period Oct 1914 to Nov 1917,and,

WO95/4224 (Italy) for the period Dec 1917 to Feb 1919.

Sotonmate