Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Muerrisch's Guide to rank badges

Muerrisch

Flesh on the bones, May 1915.

some of which, to modern eyes, is surprising, and I will deal with these strangenesses later.

post-894-1274018408.jpg

post-894-1274018464.jpg

post-894-1274018490.jpg

The strange thing to modern eyes is the use of the Royal Arms in 1915 as a badge for other than the most senior Warrant Officers. It is levered into the sequence below the 'crown and wreath' badges. This is probably because of the use of the latter for the most senior soldiers holding warrants from 1901. The new scheme had the happy effect of leaving the Sergeant-Major of Foot Guards [now the Regimental Sergeant-Major] with his existing Royal Arms badge ....... worn even on SD [and on the upper arm] as evidenced by contemporary photographs.

The effect of the changes is that the badges of Warrant rank present a minefield for interpretation for the greater part of the war, and this is especially true for 1915 as, understandably, the issue of new badges was not the highest priority for an army with a grave artillery ammunition problem.

Note in the 1915 list that the RA have 'and gun', the artisans their distinctive badges, the RAMC the Geneva Cross, and Musketry and Gymnastic staff their respective badges. It seems likely that the RE added the grenade as a matter of course.

The ranks below the new Warrant Officers Class II were unchanged at this time.

herewith.

note that there was nothing now to distinguish the senior appointment, RQMS, from the junior CSM.

post-894-1274105752.jpg

a few from my collection. PLEASE NOTE THAT I MAKE NO CLAIM THAT THEY ARE STRICTLY GREAT WAR PERIOD, BUT THEY DO HAVE THE CORRECT CROWN.

Note also that the preferred material for all rank badges was worsted drab, but that it is clear that some gilding metal versions were produced.

These were not all in use in 1915, but included are large [WOII] and small [CSgt/CQMS] crowns, the defunct QM star, the yet-to-be used Royal Arms in wreath.

Before pressing on to the war-time inventions of Bomber, Mortar, LG and HG, I will deal with the neglected band badges.

post-894-1274107445.jpg

Band badges. Here is the SD version of the 'old' band badge. I have seen gilding metal versions and am sceptical of authenticity, but never say never.

Because bandsmen were, as a breed, long serving, some of these badges were retained on some seasoned arms right up to the Great War, particularly units from India.

post-894-1274110260.jpg

the 'new' band badges were small for bandsmen, large for WO Bandmaster, in bronze colour for Rifles, and the old RA unique design without crown had been dropped but may have lingered.

Also shown the two versions of Geneva Cross worn by RAMC ORs ..... the left hand one with dark navy blue the more common, the other on a KD outer.

post-894-1274110507.jpg

Excellent Grumpy, excellent. Looking forward to the next instalment.

The war-time additions.

AO 404/1915 scarlet flame drab raised ball, bomber/grenadier badge intro, design modified 1917 to all scarlet, flat ball. Cancelled early 1918.

No matching trench mortar AO traced, but similar date and design, modified similarly, blue.

LG wreath [lewis gun .... infantry] and HG wreath [hotchkiss, cavalry] intro. AO 80 of 1917, the HG cancelled soon after end of war. Official material unknown, probably worsted. Appointment badge therefore to be worn upper right sleeve.

NB MG wreath first class machine gunner, and R in wreath, rangetaker, intro. just before war began.

Badge for each occasion wounded [not each wound] left cuff, intro AO 249 of 1916 in double gold russia braid, most wearers opted for commercial gilding metal version. Wounds included gassing and ENEMY barbed wire.

Overseas service chevrons, lower right cuff, red 1914, blue subsequently, intro. AO 4 of 1918, qualified for one on landing foreign soil, one each anniversary, much controversy over eligibility, many subsequent amendments.

The Good Conduct badge [not illustrated] was NCO chevron lace, point up, lower left cuff. No money attached except in rare 'reserved rights' cases. One for 2 years, a second after 5, then 12, 18, 23, 28. Late in war, additional ones for those qualified each extra 5 years service without crime. TF eligible. Highest rank/ appointment allowed to wear was LCpl.

post-894-1274283620.jpg

appointment badges worn by NCOs and Instructors.

In addition to the artificer 'trades' worn with rank badges, there are a few others to mention.

In general, the title 'Instructor' seems to have been cherished by commissionned officers, whereas NCOs were relegated [not always] to 'Assistant Instructor'.

These included MG, LG [and, I suppose HG], Bomber [and probably Mortar], Signalling, Musketry, Rough Rider [cavalry and RA], PTI .... all to be worn above rank badge on right arm. Many examples exist in photos of such badges worn on both arms of course.

I'm surprised no body has asked, but what was an "Experimental quatermaster-serjeant"?

Alan

in context, as he is after RE and before Cavalry, I think he may be RE .... they were always tinkering with things and blowing them up as 'an experiment'

so, lastly,

Badges you might see

sightings of these to be reported to Grumpy forthwith:

crossed bugle horns [not offical issue]

crossed lances [ditto]

crossed flags enamelled [ditto]

pipes [ditto]

The Imperial Service tablet in white metal was issued to individual TF soldiers who committed to serve overseas between January 1910 and about May 1916. It is thus useful to date dubious photos. It is diagnostic of a TF soldier, not necessarily a TF unit. I am lucky enough to have a bronze version, or dark GM, seems solid not plated. Curious!

post-894-1274712087.jpg

• 9 months later...

The war-time additions.

AO 404/1915 scarlet flame drab raised ball, bomber/grenadier badge intro, design modified 1917 to all scarlet, flat ball. Cancelled early 1918.

No matching trench mortar AO traced, but similar date and design, modified similarly, blue.

Grumpy, it seems that you are the encyclopedia for difficult badge questions: How would a NCO of the HAC (who wore the Khaki grenade badge above the chevrons) wear the red bomber badge end 1917? Would the red grenade replace the khaki on the right arm?

Thanks for the enlightment.

Gerd

Some questions are beyond the wit of mortal man.

Similar queries are: what about the TM blue grenade, and
what about Grenadier Guards NCOs bomber or TM qualified?

The only answer seems to lie with a photo in wear, and that might only be illustrating one individual's preference, or a unit edict.

So, pass!

Could I for one say that I have found the above very interesting and I am impressed with the degree of detail which you have gone into such a complicated subject

many thanks

jerry