Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting Photo

jimmyjames

The attached photo is taken from A History of the Great War by the Waverley Book Company Ltd. There is no accompanying text so I have no clue as to who, what, when and where.

I would be grateful for any help/ideas to try and identify this curious equipment.

Regards

Jimmy

post-25-1085003256.jpg

Custom-made transportation'recovery vehicle for RFC? Plenty of 'drawers' down side for tools/spare parts?

Desmond

Yes, could well be. I've had a pointer that the number plate on the vehicle may be German but I'm not sure of the make of vehicle. The aircraft cylinders are horizontally opposed so this may well ease identification.

Regards

Jimmy

Fascinating photograph Jimmy.

The shape of the fuselage and the front skid made me think of the Sopwith Tabloid. But it definitely isn't that. And the horizontal engine is a puzzle. I am not sure if it is a horizontally opposed engine, though you would think it would have to be - what we see looks too small, perhaps that is why the vehicle was needed :rolleyes: I only know of inline, rotary and radial engines in the First World War so I look forward to the definitive answer.

Robert

Have you tried posting it on theaerdrome forum ? Someone there might have a clue. If so let us here know.

Just some observations

- the engine looks like an ABC Gnat horizontally opposed twin of 35 hp - a number of prototypes were made in 1917/18, lightweight aircraft, in some cases intended for experimental radio control "targets" or even remotely piloted bombs. Several of these used the 35 hp ABC Gnat. In fact Sopwiths made one, Robert's comment about the Tabloid set me thinking along those lines.

- the fuselage looks like its intended to be a monoplane, lower fuselage attachment point, and a high bracing pylon, I presume that's the very broad chord wings behind the fuselage? The lack of an obvious cockpit cutout could point to an experimental RPV, though I hasten to add that the Port Victoria Kitten (also ABC Gnat powered) would have looked cockpitless from that angle.

Were there any other small horizontally opposed engines around at the time? I know that apart from the British, Germany, Australia, and the USA were all experimenting with Radio Control. Siemens in particular were very advanced in their research.

Mike