Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LOYAL NORTH LANCS

WATTERS2831

i have researched my gt grandfather so far , but would like some help finding out more about where he was and what battles if any he may have taken place in. If i tell everything i do know , maybe someone can give me more info

pte James Ormerod 27670 joined the loyal north lancs in Decemeber 1915 left for france mid 1916 , he served with 2 battalions the 2nd/4th and the 8th not sure in which order but i think he got transferred january 1917 , my grandmother told me he was gassed by the germans and was hospitalised. After the war ended he stayed until 1919 with the kings own lancaster regiment ( which would make sense as i beleive that regiment was made up of returning injured soldiers) as 51542 in Belguim i think?? he was awarded the victory medal and the british war medal

if anyone can tell me more about where he was and what roles the 2 battalions of the Loyals had in the war i would appreciate it

W2831

Welcome to the Forum !

I would think that he served in the 8th Bn initially,it was in France from Sept 1915 as part of 75 Brigade of 25 Division,though within the month changed to 7 Brigade of the same Division, according to the LLT at top left of this page. Here the page for 25 Div:

http://www.1914-1918.net/25div.htm

He seems to have joined the Bn as a replacement in 1916. It may well be ,as a result of his gassing,he would, on gaining fitness once more,have been transferred to the 2/4th,which went to France for the first time in Feb 1917,as part of 170 Brigade of 57 Division,here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/57div.htm

I have seen his Medal Card,it confirms the details you post for his Bns and numbers,but no other data concerning either the LNLR or the RLR. He received two campaign medals,the British War and Victory.

There is no service record for him on Ancestry UK,probably destroyed in 1940.

Sotonmate

According to the service papers which have survived (Ancestry) he served in the 9th Batt Kings Own and lived 9 Stone Row Clayton-le-Moor Accrington. They are barely readable and do not give any movement details. Ralph.

Sotonmate. Papers are there. Ralph.

Ralph

They were too shy to meet me,another will-o-the-wisp effect !

Sotonmate

thanks to those who contributed , i can now add he joined the 2nd/4th in december 1915 but was transferred to the 8th battalion in January 1917 who were already in france , the 2nd/4th landed in february 1917 , which meant he changed battalions before he left for france ...was this common? He would have also taken part in the battle of Messines ridge, i have just bought a book on the loyal north lancs regiment , which makes reference to 1 officer and 147 other ranks joining the 8th in january 1917, there is a lot of military jargon which is difficult to understand , can anybody explain what the battle of the messines was all about and what happened to the 8th battalion after