Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Arthur David McHaffie

Guest paterson@nsworld.com

Guest paterson@nsworld.com

I've just discovered the grave of the above soldier who died in 1917 and was buried in Rawalpindi and would welcome suggestions on how to find out more about him and his unit. He married Dorothy Bovill, an English woman, and it may have been in India as I am unable to trace her or her family in the UK by the 1901 Census. Their only son Arthur William was born in India in 1915. Where would he have registered his marriage and the birth of his son? Other postings to this forum point to The British Library, but would the General Register Office have recorded such events in some "overseas" section, or where might Regimental registers of births, marriages and deaths have been deposited? I found his death on the CWGC website but it must have been registered somewhere!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Welcome

I,ve just looked on Ancestry.co.uk, family tree called McHaffie Family Tree

Arthur David McHaffie Born 4th November 1882-Pollokshields East, Scotland

Dorothy Gwendoline Bovill- Abt 1887 in Southampton, England-Died Abt 1971-in Bristol, England

Arthur William Mchaffie Born-9th March 1915-india-Died 29th May 1991-Australia

Dean

1891-Census Scotland-Address-Ardbeg Villa Ardbeg Road-Civil Parish-Rothesay

1901-Census Scotland-Address-4 Jane Street-Civil Parish-Glasgow Blythswood-Occupation Textile Manufacturer

Dean

• Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum

This is a useful link http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records.../indianarmy.htm

His burial is recorded on the British Library military records link, but no other information, nor the birth of his son, which suggests he was not in the Army in 1915 when his son was born and enlisted for wartime service only. If you look at the CWGC entry and click on the cemetery link (in red) it says most WW1 burials were for actions on the North West Frontier. It is unlikely he left India and looking at LLT he may well have been attached as a Transport Officer to the 2nd Division who were based in Rawalpindi Indian Army Medal Index Cards are available online at TNA.

Another link you may find useful is Families in British India (though a quick search didn't reveal anything) http://www.search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/index.php

Can't help much more my Indian Army interest and ancestors is Royal Artillery around 1850, no doubt a WW1 expert will come along soon :)

Ken

ip

To eliminate the possibility that he may have had a service record at Kew in the Officer series WO339/WO374,he has none. There is only one record for a McHAFFIE and that is W with a file number WO339/69527.

As Ken suggests,your route is to the British Library.

Sotonmate

Could this be your Dorothy in 1911:

BOVILL, Ada Head Married (Husband Abroad) born in 1856 in India

BOVILL, William J Son Single born 1886 in India

BOVILL, Dorothy A Daughter Single born 1887 in Redcliffe Garden London

Living at 54, Chancer Road, Bedford Eastern Ward St Paul, Bedfordshire

Might be a coincidence, but living next door is an Edward M FORBE, aged 57, widower, Indian Army (retired) and his 2 daughters, all born in India.

Grant

2Lt Arthur David McHaffie died of disease on 4 Oct 17 while serving with the IARO attached to the Supply & Transport Corps.