Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit Symbol on British Ambulance

BSM

Can a member please ID the enclosed symbol seen painted in white on the external firewall, passenger side, of a British Ambulance......Regards....Rod

Below is Hendo's first pass....thanks in advance...

I'm not familiar with vehicle identificaiton codes, which is what I think it is. I would post your request to the forum, someone will give you an answer pretty quickly.

As to my thoughts on what it may be: The open box (with the opening being at 12, 3, 6 or 9 o/clock) represents the Platoon number, therefore working clockwise from the top an open face represents 1 P (or A Pl), 2 Pl, 3 Pl or 4 Pl. I would suggest the symbol on the insde represents the Section number and most probably included X, Z, W, Y or very much less likely, a geomtetric symbol, like X, 0,+, ^,V,<,>.

If you post both your question and my response, I am sure you will very quickly narrow down what the symbol means.

I hpe this has helped, I look forward to finding out along with you, the answer!

post-36102-1269409505.jpg

BSM,

There you go and a lot less complex than my response to your PM!

Cheers,

hendo

Thanks much gents. Succinct and to the point. Certainly puts it to bed. Regards Rod.

Can a member please ID the enclosed symbol seen painted in white on the external firewall, passenger side, of a British Ambulance......Regards....Rod

Below is Hendo's first pass....thanks in advance...

I'm not familiar with vehicle identificaiton codes, which is what I think it is. I would post your request to the forum, someone will give you an answer pretty quickly.

As to my thoughts on what it may be: The open box (with the opening being at 12, 3, 6 or 9 o/clock) represents the Platoon number, therefore working clockwise from the top an open face represents 1 P (or A Pl), 2 Pl, 3 Pl or 4 Pl. I would suggest the symbol on the insde represents the Section number and most probably included X, Z, W, Y or very much less likely, a geomtetric symbol, like X, 0,+, ^,V,<,>.

If you post both your question and my response, I am sure you will very quickly narrow down what the symbol means.

I hpe this has helped, I look forward to finding out along with you, the answer!