Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Staffordshire Yeomanry & 11th West Yorks

MartinThwaite

Hello Members,

I'm looking for info on two brothers (my wife's grandad & great uncle):

301378 Pte Lewis Brook Staffordshire Yeomanry & 43813 12th Norfolks

57613 Pte Frederick W Brook 11th(Service) Bn West Yorks (died of wounds N Italy 4 Jul 18)

Both Yorkshire lads from Huddersfield so the TF Staffordshire Yeomanry Regt appears strange. Do their Regtl Numbers give any clue as to when they were attested?

Any information appreciated,

Regards,

Martin

Martin

As regards the West Yorks number 57613, i suspect it comes from the period of Oct/Nov 1917.

A short piece about the 11th Batt in Italy around the 4th July 1918.

post-9-1269777038.jpg

Regards Kevin

Martin

As regards the West Yorks number 57613, i suspect it comes from the period of Oct/Nov 1917.

A short piece about the 11th Batt in Italy around the 4th July 1918.

post-9-1269777038.jpg

Regards Kevin

I'm much obliged Kevin,

Cheers,

Martin

Lewis' MIC shows the BWM and VM so presumably no service before 1 January 1916. There's a note at the top: "Div 3A 20/5/86" (yob?). Frederick's medal entitlement the same.

As for the fact that they weren't taken into "local" regiments, my grandfather's family all settled in London but one great-uncle ended up in the North Staffs, another in the Norfolks etc. I've assumed that by then they were being put where they were needed in terms of diminished battalions, but I think I've seen mention on here that it might indicate that they signed up under the Derby Scheme? If Lewis was born in 1886, that makes him roughly the same age as my great-uncles.

Lewis' MIC shows the BWM and VM so presumably no service before 1 January 1916. There's a note at the top: "Div 3A 20/5/86" (yob?). Frederick's medal entitlement the same.

As for the fact that they weren't taken into "local" regiments, my grandfather's family all settled in London but one great-uncle ended up in the North Staffs, another in the Norfolks etc. I've assumed that by then they were being put where they were needed in terms of diminished battalions, but I think I've seen mention on here that it might indicate that they signed up under the Derby Scheme? If Lewis was born in 1886, that makes him roughly the same age as my great-uncles.

Many thanks for your input - Not sure what that date refers to on Lewis' MIC but definately not his dob, he was born in 1899! Not sure about the Derby scheme, definite possibility. Fred served in their local Regt (West Yorks) but I'm still curious about Lewis going into a Territorial Cavalry Regt, the Staffordshire Yeomanry, who were out in the Middle East. I know that some of the 1/1st Staffs Yeomanry were cross posted to the 12th Norfolks hence the link confirmed to the Norfolks on the MIC. Maybe if I get the chance to look at the Medal Rolls all will become clear!!

Regards,

Martin