Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

cap badge info

lizzie10

I am new to this site and I am not sure if I am in the right place, I have 2 questions to ask and I hope that there are many of you out there who can help me out.

The first is a photograph of my paternal grandfather in a uniform, which I have been told is a Royal Engineer. My cousin,who has another photograph,believes he may have been in F. Coy. 334 party. I don't have the photograph at present, but it shows a great many soldiers on what looks like a jetty, or the building of a bridge, and it is obviously abroad somewhere. There is a banner which has the above written on it, it was taken in 1917.

The other question is again relating to the same grandfather, I am in possession of a Star 1914-1915 medal. On the reverse it has CZ 2609

Alexander Stewart

A.B.R.N.V.R.

It seems that he was also in the Naval Reserves. I would like to know where I am able to find out records for both services' I would appreciate any help.

Thank you

Yes, the picture is a Royal Engineer - or a 'Sapper'. The medal does not connect as it is to an Able Seaman of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve.

Yes, the picture is a Royal Engineer - or a 'Sapper'. The medal does not connect as it is to an Able Seaman of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve.

Thank you for that, I remember my father telling me that my grandfather was in the army and also the navy, which was first I don't know, but thanks for clearing that up

in the army and also the navy,

Like Private Godfrey in Dad's Army - the Army & Navy Stores in Victoria Street :lol:

• 1 month later...
Royal Naval Division?

D

thank you for your help, I have subsequently found out that he was in the RND and also Royal Engineers and have found, through a great help from Chris Baker, his Medal Cards, his records in both the RND and RE. So no further information is required by me on this subject, but once again, thanks for everyones' help.