Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Essex (West Ham) regiment

JohnYork

Thanks for the additional info from Burrows. I to have fallen behind with my plans for this project. Hopefully this will spur me on in the coming dark cold evenings. As for the blowing bubbles idea I don't think the song was written until after the great war.

• 2 years later...

Just latched on to this thread - relatively new to this, so just getting to find out what is around.

I am researching my grandmothers brother, and eldest great uncle, George Alfred Charles Barlex (17165) who also died on the 13 Nov 1916 and is buried in Thiepval cemetery. He was a Company Serjgeant Major from Barking, serving in the 13th (West Ham) Essex regiment, so if anyone have any info on this units involvement in the Somme or anything else - could I have recommendations for the best place to look? I notice that several pages of documents were scanned and posted earlier, but I can't seem to get access to these.

Thanks and wishing you a happy new year,

Martin

Hello Martin,

Unfortunately this thread like so many suffered when the forum picture rules were re-jigged and the pictures lost making the thread rather useless to you and other researchers...

As you can see from my earlier posts I have a Great Uncle who served with the 13th.

There is some more Essex info on the following topics which may be helpful:

13/Essex Regt - Somme area., MM - Delville Wood.

Something of interest for the 13th Essex boys...

Essex Regiment - Somme action?, Info required on 13th Battalion please

Just latched on to this thread - relatively new to this, so just getting to find out what is around.

I am researching my grandmothers brother, and eldest great uncle, George Alfred Charles Barlex (17165) who also died on the 13 Nov 1916 and is buried in Thiepval cemetery. He was a Company Serjgeant Major from Barking, serving in the 13th (West Ham) Essex regiment, so if anyone have any info on this units involvement in the Somme or anything else - could I have recommendations for the best place to look? I notice that several pages of documents were scanned and posted earlier, but I can't seem to get access to these.

Thanks and wishing you a happy new year,

Martin

Martin

I have the war diary scans - but to be perfectly honest it seems a shame to add them to this thread with ALL the missing pics - its just a right mess.

May I suggest you start a new thread in Units and Formations seeking info on 13th Essex on 13 Nov 1916. and we will all post away there.

Glyn