Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniforms

Guest Sue Bevan

Guest Sue Bevan

Would anyone be able to help identify the uniform that my Great Uncle is wearing please. I believe it was towards the end of WW1 and possibly overseas as the photo is on a postcard with the words "Carte Postal" at the top.

post-54192-1269356641.jpg

Thank you

Sue

Hi Sue

Welcome to the forum

He is wearing a Khaki Drill (cotton) uniform. There were several variations of this. Typically it was issued for wear in tropical/warm climates (inc India/Egypt etc) - with the Carte Postale back I would suggest this was almost certainly taken overseas, probably in the Middle East (Egypt/Palestine etc)

It is a bit difficult to make out on the picture but it looks like he has brass collar badges on - that look like they might be "Flaming Bombs" (variations of which were used by several units but perhaps most commonly by the Royal Artillery). These were more common post war than during the war although they were worn in wartime as a recent thread has demonstrated.

Apart from the above - I don't see much to distinguish his unit etc.

Hope this helps... there are some comparative pictures included HERE (p18/19)

Chris

Guest Sue Bevan
Would anyone be able to help identify the uniform that my Great Uncle is wearing please. I believe it was towards the end of WW1 and possibly overseas as the photo is on a postcard with the words "Carte Postal" at the top.

post-54192-1269356641.jpg

Thank you

Sue

Thank you Chris, yes your information was a great help and the 'link' very informative. I will try to pursue this through Ancestry now I have something to go on.

Thank you again

Sue

Also thank you Peridot for your comments

I always thought the KD tunics with the scalloped pocket flaps were from the Boer War era.