Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Cross from HM the King

At Home Dad

Hallo all

Rather a silly question, I expect, but please excuse my lack of knowledge!

I have a telegram from Buckingham Palace requesting the attendance of

an Officer to recieve his Military Cross on Wednesday 2nd may 1917. I had

thought it was to get his Bar to the MC but no, it's his first MC

How common was this? Did every winner of the MC etc get invited to the Palace or is it unusual?

Could this also mean that there is the potential for a photgraphic archive

of such Officers, taken outside Buckingham Palace post ceremony? If so,

where would these be held?

Many thanks for any assistance

Hi At home dad

As far as I know, every officer, if it was at all possible, received their awards from the King or sometimes one of his sons. When ever an officer was on leave in the UK, it would be arranged. I have two MC's presented by the King & one by the POW. The others I have not been able to find out about.

Peter

Thanks Peter

very helpful!

Would be great if there are 'publicity' photo's hidden out there somewhere!

Kind regards

Elliott

We can only hope that someone will find them one day. But with our luck they will not be named or IDed.

I also have an MBE group with telegram & luckily the family found his photo about five years later for me.

So keep looking

Peter

...Could this also mean that there is the potential for a photgraphic archive

of such Officers, taken outside Buckingham Palace post ceremony? If so,

where would these be held?...

I don't think there is an official archive, I expect such photos were usually private undertakings. The national press would probably only take shots of prominant recipients. it may have got into the local press, especially after his Bar was gazetted.

This is a great question as Gallantry medals are my theme i am very interested ...Would give you a good reason to win a medal to get some blighty leave to get it presented by the King ..as to the percentage i don't know

MC

• Admin

There is a photo of Edward Brittain and his mother leaving Buckingham Palace after his investiture of the MC by the King, taken by a newspaper photographer.

Michelle

This is a great question as Gallantry medals are my theme i am very interested ...Would give you a good reason to win a medal to get some blighty leave to get it presented by the King ..as to the percentage i don't know

MC

MC

The soldier had to have UK leave owing to him or be wounded & then the presentation was arranged to fit in that time period, not as you think, get UK leave just because you were awarded a medal/cross/order.

One of the MC's I was refering to above was gazetted in Oct 1917 & the officer in question had to wait until he was wounded in Aug 1918 & well enough to attent an investiture in Feb 1919.

Peter

There were also special award ceremonies for the relatives of those officers killed before they had received their crosses. If they had been commissioned from the ranks and had been awarded the MM or DCM, but had received either, then these were presented to their families at the same time. Those relatives who did not or could not go to London, could opt to receive the award at a place more local to them, presented by a local dignitary or senior military officer. I have a list of those so presented.

TR

Thanks for the replies everyone, very helpful

The later General Sir John Crocker received his DSO and MC as a twenty year old Lieutenant in a single investiture at the Palace in 1919.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found very full details (of the recipients at least) of such investitures in the Times newspaper, usually in the court circular section.

A separate - but related - question. At these investitures I presume the medal was pinned on the chest of the recipient, much in the same way as happens today. I was wondering whether the recipient was handed the box of issue for his award on his way from the actual "pinning" (as also happens today I believe) or whether that was it? Anyone have any evidence one way or the other?

Regards

Steve

Searching the Times online archive gives many MC awards at the King's hands. This could help in tracking dates of press photos, as the event could be long after the gazetting.

D