Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

July 1, R.I Rifles, does the war diary for this exist?

museumtom

I came across an account of the 8th Bn of the RIRif on Sat the 1st and Sunday the 2nd July, 1916 and wondered if the war diaries exist for this period. I had a look in the Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War but it does not mention the 8th Bn.

Dies it exist?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Tom

According to the National Archives catalogue they have the War Diary covering the period in question at Kew under the following reference;

WO95/2503 8 Battalion Royal Irish Rifles 1915 Oct. - 1917 Aug.

It doesn't appear to be one of the diaries available to download so it's going to need someone to go and have a look at it at Kew.

Regards

Steve

Hi Tom,

My brother got this from Kew and transcribed these dates for a trip he was taking. I am sure he wouldn't mind me posting the word file here for you to download. Just remember, any mistakes in the transcription process are his!

cheers

Jeremy

1st_July_8th_Royal_Irish_Rifles.doc

Thanks guys.

This is very much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Tom,

Just had a quick read of the 8th war diary that Jeremy posted and from what i recall of the 9th RIRs' diary there seems to be a contradiction with the action of Lt Stevenson.

It was reported that he went toward Thiepval via the trench 'Moquet Switch' [as stated in the 8th diary]to the farm of the same name and found the trench unoccupied. He sent a message back to this effect via a runner. But did not return himself as stated.

If this opportunity had been exploited it would have allowed British troops to attack the machine guns working out of Thiepval village from the rear opening up the 32nd division's front.

As it was, as i recall, the next message from Lt Stevenson was that he was engaging the enemy heavily and was not heard of again'

Lt Hugh Stevenson came from Londonderry. The website 'The diamond war memorial' has details of him.

My grandfather was with the 36th Div 150th Field Company Engineers at Elgin Avenue when the 8th passed through.

Rob

Bit perplexed. Can find no mention of a Stevenson in either the 8th or 9th RIR reports and Lt Leonard William Hugh Stevenson, MC was in the 9th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers (and he is not mentioned in their report either). Do you mean Sanderson of the 107th MGC?

BTW if anyone has the 9th RIR report for 1st July I would love a copy.

Bill,

Sorry thats me cocking things up. Yes Hugh Stevenson was 9th Inniskillings. Thats what you get when you try to do things when your too tired. It is Lt Sanderson that went down the Moquet Switch.

Lt Sanderson is mentioned in Falls History as 9th RIR.

Lt Stevenson was in the same area when killed.

The section on the 9th RIR 1st July diary was on-line somewhere [not forum] i will try to find it.

Rob

Bill,

Think i've found it but don't know how to do link.

Do 'google' '9th Royal Irsih Rifles 1st July'

About 5th one down it says 12th Royal Irish Rifles 1st July. Go to site and use drop down search for Ulster Division then scroll down to 108th Brigade, then 9th Rifles.

Home page doesn't seem to have a name.

Have you seen this site before?

Rob

Thanks guys.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Rob,

Thanks for the link. Excellent. Another little gap filled. Nice site too.

Only thing missing now is the 14th RIR diary.

Cheers

Bill