Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aisne 1914 - Are you a descendant of a soldier who took part?

Paul D Kendall

I am researching for my next project relating to the Battle of the Aisne 1914. As always I am looking at material at the IWM, Liddle Collection, Regimental Museums and I am in the process of collecting relevant material from war diaries held at the National Archives. So I already have these areas covered.

The purpose of this thread is to establish contact with any descendants of soldiers who took part in the Battle of the Aisne during September 1914 and to ask if they have any photos, letters, diaries or information which is not hosued in any archive.

The purpose of my book is to tell the story of the Battle of the Aisne in 1914 and to include the photos and short biographies of the men who took part as a tribute to them.

If you are a descendant and are able to help, please contact me at paul.kendall193@btinternet.com

I look forward to any response.

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, my first cousin (twice removed) was an OC, took part, and was wounded on the Aisne in 1914. Ping me an e-mail with your address and I'll send you the full SP.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi

have a look at The Steel of the DLI it will give you an idea of the letters in the local Durham papers and the letters and photo's in the DLI museum.

regards

John

Dear Desmond7,

Many thanks for the lead you have provided. I am in he process of getting images of soldiers from various battalions who took part on the Battle of the Aisne 1914. It is my intention to get at least one soldier from each of the battalions. Your link will ensure that the men from the Royal Irish Rifles who fought on the Aisne during 1914 are recognised and I will be able to highlight their deeds and pay tribute to them. The written testimony is a very interesting account and help to tell the story of this battle alongside the other material that I have gathered.

If you would like me to list your name in the credits of the book please send me an email to paulkendall193@btinternet.com and I will ensure that your valued assistance is recognised.

Kind regards

Paul

You'd better mention Dan or his latter day descendants will be on yer case ;)

I will definitely feature Dan in the book. His descendants are very welcome to get in contact with me if they wish too.

Best wishes

Paul

I have a few I can put you in contact with .. lovely WW2 stories too.

Will e-mail from work with more.

Desmond

I would really appreciate establishing contact with the descendants of the men from the Royal Irish Rifles. I would be very interested to see if they have any further information. If their ancestors survived the Aisne, what were there other experiences during World War One is of great interest to me. If they were fortunate to survive the war, what did they do after 1918. Another question which I would like to ask (which I know is not within the remit of the Great War Forum) is did they play a role in World War Two, if not on active service, maybe in the Home Guard. Many soldiers from World War One did play a role in World War Two.

I look forward to receiving your email tomorrow.

Kind regards

Paul