Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte George Southwell 2041 Royal Warwicks

davidfowler1946

Although I've been researching my Grandfather for a few years, I've been unable to get to see his Service Record. I've got a copy of his Medal Card and have had help from Terry Carter regarding notice of his wounding in 1915 and also from the Warwicks' Museum in Warwick. From there I've got copies of the War Diaries for certain relevant dates. It's very frustrating as I'm looking into my Uncle's Great Uncle and got HIS Service Record straight away on Ancestry!

As George's record isn't on Ancestry, does this mean that it would be a waste of time going down to Kew, i.e. do I assume that the record no longer exists?

Hi David

Unfortunately and given your location of other records on Ancestry it sounds as if your grandfather's record along with many others including my own was amongst the 70% destroyed in the Blitz in 1940.

Although there are many errors in the Ancestry indexing, it seems a fair bet that the record no longer exists.

Peridot

D

All you can do is look through all the George Southwell records on Ancestry UK (including those with a second Christian name). You can find many tales here of records being "hidden" inside other records. You could be lucky.

Sotonmate

Thanks for your replies. I thought it would now be a no-no. Still, I've got some stuff which I can be happy with. Cheers again.

David