Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd battalion northumberland Fusiliers

draperju

Does anyone have any information on the position of this Battalion during the middle February 1915.

The War Diary for this Battalion for both February and March 1915 is missing. I consulted these at the main library in Newcastle upon Tyne.

I also own acopy of The Fifth in the Great War by Sandilands which gives some information. Does any of the members have anything more to add in understanding

the role of the Battalion during this month.

Best wishes

Draperju

Hi Draperju

I have a copy of the 2nd NF for February and March if you PM me your email I will send you a copy

Martin

D

An analysis of some data of the 2 NF dead from Feb 1915 is not very informative,most of the casualties checked (there were 71 in total in Feb 1915) had no grave,but remembered on the Menin Gate. One was buried in Bedford House Cemetery,but from the Enclosure number it is likely that he was moved there after the Armistice from a smaller cemetery elsewhere in the Salient. One (killed on 18th) was buried in Ramparts Cemetery, Lille Gate, Ypres.

I get the feel that they were defending Ypres itself and under much bombardment. Sixty were killed between 12th and 22nd,the heaviest over the two days 21/22,when 30 were killed.

When you say that parts of the War Diary are missing do you mean that it is missing from Newcastle Library,or have you seen that parts are missing from the Kew copy ? The reference for that,if you don't have it already,is WO95/2277,which runs from Jan 1915,and is available digitally from the NA Catalogue for 3.50.

Sotonmate

D

An analysis of some data of the 2 NF dead from Feb 1915 is not very informative,most of the casualties checked (there were 71 in total in Feb 1915) had no grave,but remembered on the Menin Gate. One was buried in Bedford House Cemetery,but from the Enclosure number it is likely that he was moved there after the Armistice from a smaller cemetery elsewhere in the Salient. One (killed on 18th) was buried in Ramparts Cemetery, Lille Gate, Ypres.

I get the feel that they were defending Ypres itself and under much bombardment. Sixty were killed between 12th and 22nd,the heaviest over the two days 21/22,when 30 were killed.

When you say that parts of the War Diary are missing do you mean that it is missing from Newcastle Library,or have you seen that parts are missing from the Kew copy ? The reference for that,if you don't have it already,is WO95/2277,which runs from Jan 1915,and is available digitally from the NA Catalogue for 3.50.

Sotonmate

[Thank you for the reply

The film at Newcastle library starts April 1915 if it exists then this copy missed the first two months. thanks for your analysis

If I get acopy I will tell you how accurate you were, against Sandilands you are doing well.

Best wishes Draperju]

Hi Draperju

I have a copy of the 2nd NF for February and March if you PM me your email I will send you a copy

Martin

[Thanks for replY. I have sent my e-mail by private communication As you have these months thew error must be in the filming of the Diary

Look forward to receiving your information

Best wishes

Draperju]