Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph (Joe) Stapleton - help to identify regiment

greatbeanbags

My friend has asked for help to find out more about her grandfather & his war service record please. I am sure GWF members can help her.

He was a blacksmith by profession but if he plied his trade whilst signed up is not known. Perhaps if his regiment can be identified from the various pictures of him in uniform (posted) or if his War Service Record exists she can learn more?

He was Joseph (Joe) Stapleton, born 25 11 1880 at Frithlestock in Devon. He married Edith Scott on 27 10 1901 at Stoke Dameral (near Devonport - Plymouth). They returned to North Devon about 1903 & lived in the area until his death in 1971.

Below are his photos - first one is in a group. He is end of middle row - left as you look at it. He is the only one with what looks like a horseshoe on his sleeve. Second photo is of him alone, horseshoe quite obvious. Third is of the horseshoe & fourth is as close as we can get of the cap badge.

No direct access to Ancestry so if someone could find his medal card or War Service Record & PM to me that would be really appreciated. Thanks. :thumbsup:

post-51610-1269274140.jpg

post-51610-1269274234.jpg

post-51610-1269274338.jpg

post-51610-1269274383.jpg

Shoesmith, RFA - Royal Field Artillery.

Group photo circa 1917.

No oversea's service chevrons.

Thank you CT-Guards - hardly had time to finish the post before you identified his arm & cap badge - fantastic! :D

What do you mean by 'photo manipulation' please - I assume it is repaired/restored?

If he has no oversea's service chevrons does that mean he won't have a medal card? My great grandfather - see my signature - (A/Farrier Sgt/Carriage Smith) served during the war years but didn't go overseas & therefore had no medal entitlement so I'm told.

The man on the very left hand side has overseas chevrons - therefore pushing the picture back into 1918.

Steve.

Farrier/ shoesmith same trade.

Just counted chevrons Stebie has the date.

Quite likely no medal entitlement.

Restore & enhance (similar to avatar on the left).

Thanks Steve :D

Perhaps he will have a medal card now? Perhaps some one will find & PM it to me please? My friend is away at present but I'm pretty sure she doesn't have any medals belonging to her grandfather. The MIC find would be fantastic for her to see & have. I see CT-Guards feels that it is quite likely that he won't have a MIC.

Could it be that her grandfather was the blacksmith who had a role in looking after the horses of this RFA group?

Clive

He may/ maynot have an entitlement, the search on MIC's seems to be playing up a little at the moment or is it me?

Appreciate your searching for the MIC - please keep trying! :)

Clive

Only one who is a Shoeing Smith.

Description

Medal card of Stapleton, Joseph

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery 80682 Shoeing Smith

Royal Field Artillery 80682 Driver

Rgds

Tim

Hi Tim

Thank you for this info - in all probability it will be my friends grandfather. I'm going to send you a PM with my personal email address - please could I ask if you would be kind enough to send me a copy as a return email attachment so I can give it to my friend. :D

I see you are in Queensland - spent time at Silky Oaks & on Dunk Island a few years ago & flew home from Brisbane. Had a great time down under ....sorry but Tasmania was my most favourite place particularly the deserted east coast & Perdon Bay at the top end. B)

Clive

80682 Joseph Stapleton was born at Willington in County Durham according to his records online, so he is not you man :(

Steve.

Steve - can you find him then please? .......unless 80682 Joseph Stapleton is my friends grandfather who moved to Devon as a youngster from Co. Durham ....... something she might not be aware of!

Thanks.

Clive