Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Siege Park

Peridot

Hi All

I am surprised I can't find a Google answer to this. My researches have revealed that my grandfather may have been attached to a Siege Park as part of a Motor Transport Unit.

What was a Siege Park and what did it do?

Thanks.

Peridot

Hello Peridot

"Siege Park" was the name used between Jan and Sep 1917 to describe what was known, both earlier and afterwards, as the "Mechanical Transport Company ASC attached to Corps Heavy Artillery". Its function was to move about those guns and howitzers of the RGA which were too big to be towed by a team of horses, and to bring up their ammunition.

It doesn't appear under the title Siege Park in any of the official War Establishment tables so I am not surprised that you had difficulty finding it, but there have been one or two other threads about it recently. If you use the Beta Search engine in the toolbar at the top of the page, you should find out more.

Ron

Park is an odd term with lots of meanings. In military terminology it was a place where equipment and stores were kept. Hence siege park where siege artillery equipment was kept together with the means of moving it. In more recent times we have had Ordnance Field Parks - a RAOC unit holding spare equipment for a division, and Field Park Squadron a RE unit holding earth moving equipment and the like for a engineer regiment. I'm not suggesting Ron is not correct, merely generalising about the word.

Old Tom

Tom

Perhaps that is why the term Siege Park was not in use for very long!

There was also the Divisional Ammunition Park, which was an ASC MT company which conveyed ammo from the railheads to the point where they could replenish the Divisional Ammunition Column. DAPs were at first L of C Troops, but became Corps Troops later.

Prior to about 1912 each division had a Divisional Transport and Supply Column - leter renamed the Divisional Train - and a Divisional Transport and Supply Park - later renamed the Divisional Supply Column.

It appears from this that the term Park had a slightly less restrictive meaning than that which it acquired later. In 1918 each Army in France also had an Ordnance Gun Park, which was fairly clearly a static unit holding reserve weapons for replacement purposes.

Ron

In light of the above discussion, I would like to point out the the Park of the Artillery or the Artillery Park (either variant was used simultaneously) dates back to the 18th Century and refers to the location in which not only the guns were kept, but also the headquarters of the Artillery Commander.

Phil

OED traces it back to 1683:

4. a. Mil. The area reserved for the artillery, vehicles, stores, etc., in an encampment. Now usu. with modifying word, as artillery park (see ARTILLERY n. Compounds 3), tank park, etc. Also: esp. in park of artillery such objects collectively; (Amer.) spec. {dag}a unit or company of artillery (obs.).

1683 J. TURNER Pallas Armata III. xx. 294 As to these Oblong Quadrangles, wherein are encamped several bodies,..you may if you please, call them as the French do, Parks, and that properly enough. 1704 J. HARRIS Lexicon Technicum I, Park of the Artillery, is a certain Place in a Camp without Cannon-shot of the Place besieged, where the Cannon, Artificial Fires, Powder, and other Warlike Ammunition are kept.

The earliest reference that I can see, which is not static and related to a bit of land is:

1864 ‘PENNIMAN’ Tanner-boy 162 The governor of the State of Mississippi sent forward a park of artillery.

David