Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Future Collector Goading Club (Dardanelles Branch)

tocemma

I thought all the collectors out there would like to see this photo of the 1915 FCGC AGM.

A fine collection of WSD caps and covers, greatcoats, jerkins and groundsheet bivis.

I thought the leather jerkins were only introduced in 1916?

The leather Jerkin was introduced in July 1915. There was another type introduced for service in Russia--used toggles instead of buttons. The RFC/RAF may have had another type which I'm not familiar with.

Their were quite a few fur under vests developed but nothing that I've come across fits what you've posted.

Joe Sweeney

Hello

There is also a 1915 reference made to leather jerkins in General Jack's diary.

Damn "British Tommy" getting it wrong again <_< - I was wondering if Joe Sweeney would have the correct answer as usual :lol:

Here is the info on the leather Jerkins.

The leather jerkin was introduced by pattern 8449/1915, 26 July 1915. It was produced in three sizes.

At first issue of the leather jerkin was restricted due to limited numbers being available. BEF General Routine Order 1204 , 13 October 1915, published scales of special winter clothing. This order states in regard leather jerkins that “for all services at the front except those provided with Coats, sheepskin lined”. General Routine Order 1257, 10 November 1915, further states in reference that, “...will be considered public clothing, owing to limited stocks, must not be accumulated by units to meet anticipated requirements: all surplus should be returned”. As stocks were accumulated issue of leather jerkins became far more widespread. In fact certain documents state that the jerkin was an acceptable substitute for the greatcoat.

Joe Sweeney

Thanks Joe :thumbsup: