Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18th machine gun squadron

Neil D

Looking info on 18th machine gun squadron which was part of 12th cavalry Brigade of 4th cavalry Division , EEF . What guns did they have. what was their mode of transport ,is their Squadron history available. Interested as had a relative , W.J Seay who served with them until mid 1919 when he was discharged after getting maleria with pension. He had also been discharged in Dec1914 after 1 years service from the artillary , with flat feet (no longer fit for active service ) Re-enlisted Aug 1916 ,standards must have been relaxed!!

WO 95/5494 has the following on the 18th Machine Gun Squadron:

A.& N.Z. Mtd Dvn. 2/17. : Yeo.Mtd. Dvn. 7/17. : Aust.

Mtd. Dvn.12/17. : 1st Mtd. Dvn. 6/18. : 4th Cav. 8/18.

to 6/19.

Steve

Hello Neil

A MG Squadron was equipped with twelve Hotchkiss machine guns (originally a French design), in six sections of two guns each. They had horse-drawn wagons and although I do not have details I believe that each section had two two-horsed wagons: one for the guns and associated equipment, and one for the ammunition. The equipment included pack-saddles so that, in difficult terrain, it would be possible to carry the guns on the backs of horses and mules.

Are you able to get to the National Archives at Kew? If so, let us know and I (or someone) will give you the file references to their War Diaries, which may be in several places according to the divisions in which they served.

Ron.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello Neil

A MG Squadron was equipped with twelve Hotchkiss machine guns (originally a French design), in six sections of two guns each. They had horse-drawn wagons and although I do not have details I believe that each section had two two-horsed wagons: one for the guns and associated equipment, and one for the ammunition. The equipment included pack-saddles so that, in difficult terrain, it would be possible to carry the guns on the backs of horses and mules.

Are you able to get to the National Archives at Kew? If so, let us know and I (or someone) will give you the file references to their War Diaries, which may be in several places according to the divisions in which they served.

Ron.

I believe that a Squadron of MGC (Cavalry) was equipped with twelve Vickers machine guns. According to the official war establishment for MG Squadrons, they were to consist of a HQ section and six sections of two Vickers machine guns each (as above). Each section was to be commanded by a subaltern with a Sergeant, a Shoeing Smith, a Corporal, 21 Privates (14 gun numbers 7 horse holders), 6 drivers, a cook and two batmen, making one officer and 33 men. Horses per section were 28 riding, 12 draught, 7 pack (47 total), and a bicycle for the cook. Each section had two GS Limbers carrying a gun and 7500 rounds and one additional limber carrying 16 boxes (16000 rounds) giving 15500 rounds per gun total. How far this establishment was reached varied between Squadrons and I have no definite information that the Egypt/Palestine Squadrons (including 18th Squadron) met this establishment. Gunner Parr