Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified flash and unit

tocemma

Hello all,

I've had this photo for some years, but have never managed to identify the unit. I'm hoping someone will recognise the brass title in combination with the sleeve flash.

First the full group shot.

post-7141-1269189723.jpg

Then soldier left

post-7141-1269189773.jpg

Corporal right

post-7141-1269189824.jpg

Then the seated corporal centre. Not sure I'd like to mess with this feller!

post-7141-1269189889.jpg

Can anyone identify the brass title on corporal right? I can't make it out. I have sharpened the focus as much as I dare.

All contributions gratefully received

Regards

Tocemma

Don't know about unit i/d, but the 1916 France & Flanders moustache-twirling competiton was pretty hotly contested by the look of it.

Hello Broomers,

With Private Left trailing in a lamentable third place.

WF, good suggestion, I've been trawling through Westlake and that was one of the shortlist units. I was hoping someone would link the two. The patch looks like three seperate bars on Private Left, less clear on the other two.

Tocemma

I'm not convinced all three are from the same unit. The man on the left has a formation sign that looks like 3 bars, but the one on the right looks to have something a bit more elaborate. Plus Mr 3-bars seems to have a bigger, more curved title than W Yorks, something like eg. R Warwickshire.

I think Private Left has his bars applied directly to the sleeve. Corporal Right and Corporal Centre seem to have theirs applied to a backing and then to the sleeve.

Odd that Private Left's titles doesn't seem to be brass either. At first I thought it might be a slip on stitched down (if that makes sense) but it does seem to have a shadow. It could be a cut down slip on.

Tocemma

I think Private Left has his bars applied directly to the sleeve. Corporal Right and Corporal Centre seem to have theirs applied to a backing and then to the sleeve.

Ah, yes. Like so many things in life, obvious once it's been pointed out.