Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

55th Division Rose flash

john gregory

Has anyone seen the 55 Div rose on other ranks tunics / jackets apart from drawings in books ? There was an officers example on a jacket on the forum earlier in the year.but I have not seen other ranks. Which example was WW1, was it the 7 leaf or 5 leaf. ? What year was they worn ? JG

Bosleys had a complete WW1 Liverpool Scotish other ranks uniform in their sale of 12 June 1995.The tunic had the 55th Div Signs but the catalogue does not say which pattern.

The guide price was £1,000- £1,200 and it sold for £1,650 ( unfortunatley not to me )

P.B.

If you come across a rectangular badge with a similar five-leafed rose, it will be from post WW2, 87th Field AGRA (Army Group, RA) TA whose units were mostly in Liverpool and owed their heritage to those of the 55th West Lancs WW1 Division.

I believe No4 Commando may have use a badge based on the 55th Div sign early in its existence.

Tocemma

It did. There was a number 4 in red as background to the rose; heavily reproduced recently if you need an example.

Bosleys had a complete WW1 Liverpool Scotish other ranks uniform in their sale of 12 June 1995.The tunic had the 55th Div Signs but the catalogue does not say which pattern.

The guide price was £1,000- £1,200 and it sold for £1,650 ( unfortunatley not to me )

P.B.

I saw that uniform when it originally turned up, at a small militaria fair in London in the early 80s before div sign tomfoolery was happening. It was the 7-leaf version of the sign, which I've always regarded as the first version. The 5-leaf version was definitely used in the war, and I'd assumed that the Div staff hadn't thought about it till they suddenly realised that, hey, er, 5 leaves + 5 leaves = ....!

A dealer called Les Martin, again back in the 80s, had what looked like a genuine MGC ORs SD jacket with the 7-leaved sign. I've also seen this sign on a named officer's jacket.

Regards,

W.

Here is a 55 Div ASC Officers tunic with a close-up of the patch.

The backing material is a slightly pinky colour.

Thanks Taff, JG

• 2 weeks later...

I got this 55th Div Badge(and the opposite shoulder in even worse mothed condition!) in one lot with the bombers badge and OS Chevrons. Div badges heavily mothed.

regards

Mark

post-11424-1270475127.jpg