Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Erosion of headstones

Tim Birch

I am just back from a flying trip to Gibraltar. It's over 15 years since I was last there and I took some time out to revisit the fascinating Trafalgar Cemetery where some of the victims of the Battle of Trafalgar, who died of wounds, are buried.

The headstones have been cleaned up, but now many are unreadable due to erosion. This appears to be worse than it was 15 years ago when they were in their black stained condition, and I wonder if the cleaning process has accelerated the problem?

What do the CWGC do about the problem of erosion? Are the headstones and memorial tablets being gradually replaced, because they seem to generally be in remarkably good condition considering their age?

Tim

Tim

I'm sure Terry Denham can give you the full SP on the replacement of CWGC headstone. In the meantime I can say that I have seen replacement headstones in more than one cemetery. I saw a replacement headstone in a cemetery in Cambridge about a month ago. I saw another replacement headstone in one of the cemeteries I visited near Arnhem this past weekend.

Quite how much damage has to be done before a headstone is replaced I don't know; but I am sure they are replaced.

Garth

CWGC replace all worn or damaged headstones as a matter of course. The degree of wear needed will be down to the judgement of the local area inspector.

The majority of WW1 headstones are still the originals and so more replacement stones will be seen in the not too distant future.

The Trafalgar stones are not CWGC's responsibility though the Foreign National War Graves in Gibraltar (North Front) Cemetery are as they are maintained by CWGC under an agreement with the overseas governments.

What a shame if they are deteriorating. I used to go to school in an old building perched high above the cemetery.

We were taken there for a service every Trafalgar Day.

One of my (unusual) and abiding memories.

Guest Brummy

Tim in mainland Europe all CWGC stones have a regular inspection and are re-ingraived where they stand if the letters are becoming worn or unreadable. Each cemetery can expect to have this happen about once every four years.

Brum

Such inspections are universal. All war graves throughout the world are inspected by the appropriate area inspector according to a timetable.

In non-CWGC cemeteries this is usually every two or three years. Obviously, in CWGC cemeteries there is a constant look-out for damage by horticultural staff as well as the regular inspections.

What a mine of information this Forum is, I do wish that I had found same before now, Terry you are obviously the man with a wealth of knowledge regarding the CWGC, as such perhaps you can help me please?

For the last five years I have been writing a book to commemorate the fallen from three local parishes, all money generated by same I am donating to the CWGC, as along with other family members I pop over, or rather under the channel to the old Western Front every month, as such getting photographs of their graves/memorials has not been a problem, those of men who lie in graves not in our travel area the CWGC, local diplomats & people on holidays have kindly provided.

Perhaps I am wrong but I have been left with the impression that cemeteries that have a full time Gardner as opposed to those tended by the gangs that travel between each seem to fare better as to replaced headstones, all grounds needless to say are kept immaculate a real credit to all concerned.

Last week I asked Rik Wackinier the Gardener at Dozinghem what was the reason if any for the headstones there all being in such good order, it being he reports any to his area Supervisor who then takes the action required.

Is there a set procedure for the general public to report to the CWGC any that are in need of attention?

The reason why I ask is that one of the headstones that will be in the book is that of Lt W.M.Upjohn kia 24/8/18 who is buried at Beaulencourt British Cemetery, Ligny Thilloy, which is almost illegible, to compound matters his son is still alive, and will get a copy of the book, when looking at all the other mens graves it would I suspect be quite upsetting to compare them to that of his late father.

I was not sure if I should report the above to Maidenhead or the area office in France or let procedures to replace headstones take its course, in the five years that we have been going to pay our respcts at the grave of the fallen officer it is getting worse, as such your advice would be both welcome and much appreciated.

David.

David

All headstones are inspected according to a timetable by the local inspector. However, if any are reported to be in a poor condition or damaged by anybody (including local caretakers) in the meantime, they will be checked and any necessary remedial action taken - with vandalism damage taking precedence.

If you see any stone which you think needs attention, report it by email to the appropriate area office rather than to Maidenhead. This is the correct prodedure and results in a faster response. HQ only pass on the report to the area office anyway.

If a worn stone so reported is already scheduled for replacement, action will probably still follow as planned.

Terry.

A huge thank you for the information that you have kindly provided for me, I must confess that although I thought that you were the right person to ask I was somewhat taken aback at the speed of same, being very much a new recruit to the Forum my request was a quick slot in prior to going out this morning.

After an awful day your reply was a real tonic, as it has been of concern to me for quite a time re the headstone concerned, again many thanks.

David.