Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC/RAF Officer, 2nd Lieut. J.J. Jones MM

daggers

From his medal card, J.J.Jones had been a corporal in the Royal Engineers before his commission in the RFC. He won the MM, which must have been while still in the ranks. His commission date on the MIC was 22 May 1915, if I have read it correctly, but I have not found the Gazette entry for either the MM or the commission. [Why do they not allow searches by number???]

He died serving in 46th Training Squadron and is buried in a Liverpool cemetery, where a family headstone gives no extra clues other than his full names, John James, and age of 23.

I guess that an Army List of say 1916-1918 should confirm the date of his commission into the RFC, and I should be grateful if anyone could have a look to see if I have been misreading the MIC.

Other clues of course would be most helpful.

Daggers

Daggers

MM entry, LG#30389, 19th November 1917. Link is here....http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/303...pplements/11968

113426 Cpl. J. J. Jones, R.E. (Liverpool).

His Date of Commission on the MIC is actually 22nd February 1918 and he was Killed in Action 31st May 1918.

Regards

Steve

R

Have emailed you a copy of his AIR76 records

but I have not found the Gazette entry for either the MM or the commission. [Why do they not allow searches by number???]

I'm not sure what you mean by this the search boxes accept numbers perfectly well, and it often the most reliable means of getting results. It certainly works for WWII officers' numbers.

Thanks all round.

David - I have had no success with numbers, with or without text, but am I omitting something? [WW1 period only].

D

Stephen

Email with attachment received with renewed thanks - they show he was killed in an accident, not in action. Sad, nevertheless.

D

I've ceratinly ahd some success, thougt he conversion of scanned image to text can be problematic, 1 may be recognised as I, 0 as O.