Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Light Railway Operating Companies

SimonMoore

Hey, first post here and quite an in depth question for the other members, I'm currently researching the Royal Engineers Light Railway Operating Companies which operated the WDLRs during the Great War, mainly as I'm a member of the West Lancashire Light Railway which has, on the one hand a Kerr Stuart 'Joffre' class 0-6-0 operated by the French Artillery Railways but also a 20hp Simplex petrol tractor operated by the LROCs.

I am hoping to recreate the uniform worn by both the French Artillerymen and Royal Engineers who operated these lines, the French uniform is nearly complete, the Royal Engineers well on the way, I do have some questions about the British insignia which might be answerable by the members here, firstly did the LROCs wear any specific insignia, the photographic evidence I have seen suggest only the brass RE shoulder titles were worn but I cannot be sure. I also wished to ask if these units would have worn rank insignia on both sleeves as this again seems to be indicated by the photos but anyone with knowledge of the regs might be able to affirm this for me.

Many thanks for any help which can be offered!