Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

David Jones Artist Poet

geoff2050

As any Pals got information relating to David Jones service history.

Also looking for paintings and poetry expressing Jones's memory of WW1

Would welcome comment or pointers to this information

Thanks

Geoff

Geoff,

There may be some info for you here.

If only we had a service number, it would make the Ancestry search easier. With such a common name, there are a few of them.

There are a few web sites with other details about him via Google.

Cheers Andy.

You have read In Parenthesis?

David Jones' New Year card for 1918 is on Gathering The Jewels.

Some biography and service history accompanies this work at the RWF Museum. (Scroll down.) I bet they have more on him.

Gwyn

Geoff,

There may be some info for you here.

If only we had a service number, it would make the Ancestry search easier. With such a common name, there are a few of them.

There are a few web sites with other details about him via Google.

Cheers Andy.

Thanks Andy.

Yes a service number would help .

Geoff

To add to the mix, according to Wiki he was born "Walter David Michael Jones" and served in the Royal Welch Fusiliers (but was born in Brockley and his father refused to let him speak Welsh!) fought at Mamtez Wood and demobilised in 1919. Can only find two Joneses under Royal Welch Fusiliers and they're both J. According to the "David Jones website" he was "David Michael":-

http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/engl/VSALM/mod/dresch/djbio.html

Well, we do like a challenge!

Can see about 9 David M Jones in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and roughly 10 Walters...

You have read In Parenthesis?

David Jones' New Year card for 1918 is on Gathering The Jewels.

Some biography and service history accompanies this work at the RWF Museum. (Scroll down.) I bet they have more on him.

Gwyn

Thanks Gwyn.

This is a good link.

He was friend of a Fr O'Connor from Bradford before the war on his return bestowed many gifts of art to Fr O'Connor

Who by great sacrifice to himself sold these items to help build a church in West Yorkshire.

To add to the mix, according to Wiki he was born "Walter David Michael Jones" and served in the Royal Welch Fusiliers (but was born in Brockley and his father refused to let him speak Welsh!) fought at Mamtez Wood and demobilised in 1919. Can only find two Joneses under Royal Welch Fusiliers and they're both J. According to the "David Jones website" he was "David Michael":-

http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/engl/VSALM/mod/dresch/djbio.html

Well, we do like a challenge!

Can see about 9 David M Jones in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and roughly 10 Walters...

Would be nice to track him down

On the assumption that a Davd M is most likely: first two went to the Balkans in 1915 and the third got a 1914 Star. The fourth:-

Name: David M Jones

Regiment or Corps: Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Regimental Number: 18762

is a possibility: everything fits. Discharged 19.12.18. Can't remember exactly what I read but it was along the lines of him being discharged a year after the war ended but may not be accurate.

Next one, just the BWM and VM. Ditto next one, who also served in the South Wales Borderers. And the next, who also served in the Royal Scots Fusiliers. Also the next - no Star. And the final one - who also served in the Labour Corps and Royal Engineers.

I rest my case - unless someone finds him under Walter!

[This is what we need: Anthony Hyne : David Jones - A Fusilier at the Front (1995 Seren £14.95)]

Glad someone knows!

Name: Walter D Jones

Regiment or Corps: 15 RW Fus, 16 RW Fus

Regimental Number: 22579, 22579

France 2.12.15

Demob 15.1.19

Anyway, what was the question?!

Have you read In Parenthesis? The Preface explains some of David Jones' motives in writing. The Anathemata is also exciting, but challenging, reading (not Great War material).

I suggest also David Blamires biography, David Jones: Artist and Writer. As you're interested in his art, it might be useful to follow through his friendship with Eric Gill.

You can read extracts from the Blamires biog on Google Books.

Gwyn

Have you read In Parenthesis? The Preface explains some of David Jones' motives in writing. The Anathemata is also exciting, but challenging, reading (not Great War material).

I suggest also David Blamires biography, David Jones: Artist and Writer. As you're interested in his art, it might be useful to follow through his friendship with Eric Gill.

You can read extracts from the Blamires biog on Google Books.

Gwyn

Thanks Gwyn