Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers - eraly 1918

Alisondady

Hi

Does anyone have any information on the movements of the 17th Battalion Royal Welch Fusiliers in March 1918? My great uncle Harold Yarwood was wounded on 17th March at Wez Macquart but the information in the regimental war diary on Ancestry/National Archives is a bit brief. He died from his wounds on 24th April 1918 and I am travelling to visit his grave at Wimereux in a couple of weeks. I would like to visit the area where he was wounded so any advice would be really welcome.

Many thanks

Ali

Ali

You might get more info (maps etc) from the War Diary for 115 Brigade of 38 Division. Did you see the War Diary for 17 RWF as a digital download ? If you did there might not have been any maps included from the original WDiary.

The place Wez Macquart,if you haven't tracked it down yet,is a small village a couple of kms to the SSE of Armentieres Jct 8 of the E42 (A25 from Dunkirk joins it).

Sotonmate

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly. I had found Wez Macquart on the map - do you know if there is anything there to actually see?

Thanks

Ali

You might get more info (maps etc) from the War Diary for 115 Brigade of 38 Division. Did you see the War Diary for 17 RWF as a digital download ? If you did there might not have been any maps included from the original WDiary.

The place Wez Macquart,if you haven't tracked it down yet,is a small village a couple of kms to the SSE of Armentieres Jct 8 of the E42 (A25 from Dunkirk joins it).

Sotonmate

Ali

You will obviously want maps of the time to find where your subject was wounded,which is why I suggested you try to find one in War Diaries. The alternative might be to try the Western Front Association,they have such material. I note that Zone 36 on their map information refers to the LOOS Sector,within which is/was the village of Wez Macquart. You may or may not get the info you want from somewhere within that organisation or you might have to buy one of their CDs on which maps for various timescales are believed to be shown. Not having seen any of them myself I just put this info before you.

Sotonmate