The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Labour Co

jainvince

3 of our local soldiers served with the Labour Corps:

Pte Sager, W 33464 56 Co L. Coy Died 03.01.18

Pte Hayes, F B 217729 59th L. Coy. LC KIA 28.05.18

Pte Chadwick, R 362718 74 L. Group HQ KIA 13.12.17

Pte Sager was admitted to a base hospital suffering from pneumonia, from which subsequently he died.

I'd like to find out where they were but am at a loss as to how you go about it. Are there War Diaries available, for example? Looked on NA download site but didn't come across them although that may have been my fault. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Bernard

Bernard

War Diaries - basically no. Very few LC companies kept War Diaries and those that did tend to be only for a short period of time.

When you say where they were do you mean when they died?

If you are thinking about their service it is more complicated as many LC units moved around a great deal.

Pte Sager, for example, had been in France since 5 April 1916. The last location I have for them prior to his death is 30 December 1917 when they were at Bouche Avesnes.

Private Hayes was one of three men in his Company killed that day. I am not 100% certain but think they were located at Bussey Wood (in the ANZAC Corps area).

As to Private Chadwick - There is no Diary for 74 Group so all I can tell you is that they were in the Hazebrouck area.

Regards

Ivor

Ivor

Many thanks for the information because before your reply we didn't have any information about where they were when they died. By the way, where did you get the information from which enabled you to provide this information?

Bernard

Bernard

The information came from Corps Diaries

Sager from VII Corps

Hayes ANZAC Corps

and Chadwick is based on the CWGC record as there is no record for 74 Group at this time

Ivor