Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Kent Yeomanry and Buffs - George Shingler

mark1965

Hi,

Doing some research for a friend on his great uncle Private G A L Shingler - does anyone have any accounts they could recommend. My friend has been left a large number of personal photos of George's wartime experience with West Kents and The Buffs and it would be good to try and map them to specific events of these Regiments

George's MIC lists

G.A.L Shingler [1] West Kent Yeomanry 828 Private [2] East Kent Regiment 270573 Lance Corporal

Thanks, Mark

There is a Hostory by Ponsonby but if you can get hold of it it will probably cost £100 plus. There is a recent history of the WKY in illustrations by a chap called Bollo - costs about £12. Size and format similar to the A5-sized local history books in pictures.

I think I have the War Diary too.

More than happy to do look-ups etc (I have Ponsonby's history as well) in trade for jpgs of some photos.

Regards,

Jonathan S

I should have added The Buffs unit he served with was almost certainly 10 Bn - this was formed out of the WKY and the Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles. Service would have been Gallipoli and Palestine and I think France late on. WKY is on periphery of my interest so I am a little hazy.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Chris - they all seem to be the Ponsonby book on the Grenadier Guards. The WKY book is somewhat rarer, which is a shame as I had my wallet out then (I have an annotated copy that could do with retirement).

Guest Rundberg

Sorry, missed that Jonathan....

And we live in a world full of lost opportunities so I´ll suppose that we have to cherish the ones that we manages to catch. :blush:

Regards,

Chris

Mark - a request through to Mick Mills resulted in this answer:

Quote:

BWM/VM - Lance Corporal and Acting Corporal 828 then 270573 1/1 West Kent Yeomanry and 10th Buffs

15 Star - Theatre of War 2B on 24/9/1915 as Private. Disembodied 19/2/1919

Out of interest, there were 213 who went overseas with the 1/1 West Kent Yeomanry on 24/9/15 and transferred to 10th Buffs. Of these, 17 died, 41 were commissioned (quite a high figure I thought), 152 were disembodied and 3 continued to serve.

Unquote.

Theatre 2B = Gallipoli.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Hi Mark - you are aware his service records appear to have survived the WW2 bombings?

Name: George Ambrose Lloyd Shingler

Estimated birth year: abt 1888

Age at Enlistment: 25

Birth Parish: Whitchurch

Birth County: Shropshire

Document Year: 1913

Regimental Number: 828

Regiment Name: East Kent Regt West Kent (QO) Yeomanry

Apparently 26 pages (tho be prepared for a cover sheet and possibly a handwritten note to be included and there's likely to be damage, duplication and fading). I would think for that number of pages, the best route is to take an Ancestry subscription - there may be a free trial available but there is a "pay as you go" version. Despite the date (looks like he was a pre-war regular) it is likely to contain his WW1 papers.

Louise

Hi,

You may be interested in Mark Connelly's 'Steady the Buffs: A Region, A Regiment and the Great War.'

Many thanks,

Steve Garnett

Hi,

Many Thanks for everyone's efforts - much appreciated - my friend will be very pleased - and I'll definitely try to follw up on the service records

Mark

Quote:

BWM/VM - Lance Corporal and Acting Corporal 828 then 270573 1/1 West Kent Yeomanry and 10th Buffs

15 Star - Theatre of War 2B on 24/9/1915 as Private. Disembodied 19/2/1919

Out of interest, there were 213 who went overseas with the 1/1 West Kent Yeomanry on 24/9/15 and transferred to 10th Buffs. Of these, 17 died, 41 were commissioned (quite a high figure I thought), 152 were disembodied and 3 continued to serve.

Unquote.

Hi Jonathan

I,ve also been looking at a soldier from the WKY who transferred to the Buffs (10th Bn).

L/cpl J.Dinham 997 then 270642

If it is of any interest, he embarked Alexandria then disembarked Marseilles 27/4/18

Regards