Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cryptic unit ID

CROONAERT

I'm yet to see the photo, but am trying to work out a unit from a description. Apparently its of a group of soldiers and , written underneath is 'Deptford.Howitzer Brigade calvery 40.3'.

My first thoughts were of it ,perhaps, being 186 Bde RFA, but am now not so sure. Any ideas on the '40.3' number reference? Also , what's the significance of 'calvery'? ('cavalry' perhaps, but -if so, where does that fit in to the description?).

thanks.

dave.

I see where you're coming from - 186 Bde from the '39th (Deptford) Divisional Artillery' (there's a unit history). It could be a complete red herring, but an adjacent unit was the 4th (London) Howitzer Brigade RFA TF in Lewisham. There were also two other RFA brigades formed in Deptford, 174 and 179.

Dave,

I think your reference is probably a biblical reference. I know that in the navy of old captains of ships made a habit of using these references - smart as*ed so and so's, in other words

Havent been able to find the ref though.

David

I think your reference is probably a biblical reference

I know the sort of signal to which you refer David,

But the biblical one is Calvary (not Calvery)

Michaeldr,

Yes I was aware of the spelling but assumed that it could have been a slip of the pen or something like that, you never know wierder things happen.

David

Thanks for your replies...I never thought of it being a biblical reference (though I did (sort of) lean that way I suppose - finding a 'Calvary Bible church' at Deptford ,New Jersey!). As for spelling, I think it may be out as (what I presume to be) 'Deptford' is actually (allegedly) spelled 'Dephford' on the photo.

Looks like I may be able to discount the numbering then.

Staffsyeoman - would I be correct in assuming that the only Howitzer Brigade to possibly contain the title 'Deptford' would be the 186th ,or could it be attributed to any other? (basically, it looks like the term 'Deptford Howitzer brigade' is the only real clue here for me).

Thanks again,

Dave

Hello Dave

An outdoor crucifix, often with a kind of little roof over the top, and usually set at a road junction, is sometimes known as a calvary, and you see a lot of these in France. If the photo does depict one of these, the "40.3" might be some kind of map reference or other way of identifying which calvary it was.

Ron

I may be wrong (as I said, I'm still yet to see the actual photo), but I'm led to believe that the photo was taken in the UK. I'm wondering whether there may actually be horses (possibly transport) on the photo and , therefore, it actually is a mis-spelled (and erroneous) reference to 'cavalry'.

Cheers.

Dave

Dave, from what I know only 186 actually used the name 'Deptford'; the others were formed in the borough but don't seem to have used the name. To perhaps rule them out, the 4th (London) Howitzer Brigade were known right until their demise in the 1960s under the 'Carver Axe' as 'The Lewisham Gunners'. Indeed, in the WW1 period both Deptfod and Lewisham were in Kent.

Hello Dave

An outdoor crucifix, often with a kind of little roof over the top, and usually set at a road junction, is sometimes known as a calvary, and you see a lot of these in France. If the photo does depict one of these, the "40.3" might be some kind of map reference or other way of identifying which calvary it was.

Ron

From distant recollection didn't Wilfred Owen write a poem entitled "At a Calvary near the Ancre"?

Peridot

Dave, from what I know only 186 actually used the name 'Deptford'; the others were formed in the borough but don't seem to have used the name. To perhaps rule them out, the 4th (London) Howitzer Brigade were known right until their demise in the 1960s under the 'Carver Axe' as 'The Lewisham Gunners'.

Thanks for that Phil... so it looks like I'll almost be certainly to be looking at members of 186 then (unless, of course, it's just a group of random artillerymen (or cavalrymen! :unsure: ) in a photograph taken at Deptford!)

Cheers.

Dave