Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 84881 F W Mason 720 Labour Corps

Alanm

hi people

I am trying to research my Grandad's war record as I have no idea where he served and thought after my previous posting the helpful repiles I got would help solve things -not so, as yet people at Kew haven't been able to help, maybe someone out there can. In brief, his details as best I can decipher through water-damaged documents and the handwriting are these: Pte F W Mason. Attested 28.2.16 at Deptford. To army reserve 29.2.16 and mobilised 17.6.16. It then gets a bit complicated as I have no idea why he should have been apparently moved around so much or where to. As best as I can read it, his service record states; posted to Royal Fusiliers 19.6.16. Posted 21.6.16 to 36 battalion. Then he was posted 22.6.16 to Royal Fusiliers 37th Battalion, RWS attached 1.7.16, then to R.7 DLC. on 2.12.16, transferred to Northants 4 infantry (?) Labour Corp 15.3.17, then 142 Labour Corps -transferred 14.5.17 then posted to 720 Labour Corps 21.9.17 then C.L.C. posted 16.4.18 and finally, clearing office on 1.11.18.

His casualty and service form gives his 'Regiment or Corps' as 'Royal Fusiliers -reg number 38347 (last number water damaged), Queens RWF (RWS?) - number 34590, Northants 43677, Labour Corps - 84881'.

An Army Form W.301c (Number 14651) is addressed to to the records officer 720th Labour Corp at 32 Carrington Street,Nottingham and the Officer Commanding 720 Labour Corp Irish Command Labour Centre, Clandeboye Camp, Ireland. Again his 'Regiment or Corps' is only referred to as 720 Labour Corps.

So, I would be more than grateful if anyone has any idea of where he may have served and what this multiple posting and transferring is all about. All I know is that he was of Irish descent and was taken ill while on leave from France in early 1918.

Hi,

His Military History Sheet states:

Home 17.6.16 to 24.3.17

BEF 25.3.17 to 15.4.18

Home 16.4.18 to 2.12.18

Regards Mark

Because he went through the Northamptonshire Regiment, I may have unscrambled his service records already. I shall have a look tonight.

The postings through the Northamptonshire Regiment would have been to No 4 Infantry Labour Company of the Northamptonshire Regiment- a unit created in March 1917 of men who were not of A1 fitness, but fit for behind the lines work in France. These units were quickly assembled and went to France within weeks of their creation. The Infantry Labour Companies were some of the first units to be redesignated as part of the newly created Labour Corps. 142 Labour Company was the "re-badged" name of No 4 Infantry Labour company of the Northamptonshire Regiment when it converted in May 1917.

His Northamptonshire regiment number was 34590, which is conistent with the mass transfer/enlistment of men into the Infantry Labour Companies.

EDIT: 142 Labour Company Labour Corps was allocated a range of 600 numbers from 84601 to 85200 upon its creation. Men with those numbers should have gone to France with Private Mason.

I don't have his record tranlsated yet, but I will have a look at it when I am back home later as it appears to be a lot of pages!

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

His Military History Sheet states:

Home 17.6.16 to 24.3.17

BEF 25.3.17 to 15.4.18

Home 16.4.18 to 2.12.18

Regards Mark

Hi

I'd just like to thank everyone who's posted a reply here. Every little helps. Thank You so much for the time and effort taken.

alanm

Hi

I'd just like to thank everyone who's taken the time and trouble to share the benefit of their knowledge and experience; as the saying goes, every little helps. Thank You

alanm :)